Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starts with old ignition but the key is stuck in it, starts with no ignition, put new ignition in it clicks and nothing, put old ignition back in, starts. Got another new ignition and again nothing. Im baffled, help.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
12,152 Posts
Okay, I need some clarification.

You have an old key and it starts but the key got stuck?
You got a new key and it won't start the car?
You replaced the ignition switch or cylinder and you got nothing?
You put the old one back in and your back at square one?

Check your horn fuse. If it's blown, change it, then replace the offending horn.
If it's not blown, then what do the key fobs do when you lock and unlock the car? Any lights and horn activation?
Is the security light flashing?

You could also try the 3 turn method and see what happens. Key in, turn it to ON then Off 3 times and try to start it.

Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
2005 Outback Wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean
553 Posts
96 2.2 has no fancy keyfob, immobilizer or security system

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
12,152 Posts
If it has power locks, it was available.

The security module is connected to the key switch, door locks, rear liftgate, hood, lights, horn, door lock cylinders, interior lights, along with the security light in the dash. If there is a problem in any area it could activate the interrupt relay.

Most times, it's the horn.

The wiring diagram I have shows the following are connected to the system:
Both headlamp relays, headlamp alarm relay, interrupt relay, fuses 3, 12, 22, 25 and both IG fuses for the starter and switch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right if it starts with a screwdriver with the and igniton cylinder out then there is no security system or chip in key and no key fob

·
Registered
07 OBW 2.5i 4EAT; Eastern Ontario, Canada
16,507 Posts
Right if it starts with a screwdriver with the and igniton cylinder out then there is no security system or chip in key and no key fob
Are you replacing just the key cylinder lock, or the complete ignition switch, with the wiring?

If just the key cylinder lock, sure the replacements are the correct ones for the car, and that the shaft that comes out is oriented correctly to engage with the electrical part of the ignition switch?

I was looking at this Youtube video and noticed the requirement that the lock being removed and the lock being installed both have to be in the ACC position. (The actual work is done in the latter half of the video.)

I ask because the lock cylinder itself doesn't have any connections to the electrical/starting system, so changing just the cylinder (as in the video) shouldn't affect the ability of the starter to run when the switch is turned to "start".

That said, if you are replacing the original with a complete assembly, including both the lock cylinder and the electrical switch, then are you sure it's the correct part for the car. Perhaps the electrical switch part of it isn't and so when turning to "start" the starter isn't being engaged.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just the lock cylinder. It lines up and goes in correctly and i can take the key out. And then it just goes click. No start. I then Pull the new one out and reinstall the old one with stuck key and it starts just fine.

·
Registered
2001 VDC Wagon - White pearl - 265,000 km
452 Posts
Check the amount of rotation you get with the old cylinder and compare to the new one. Maybe disconnect the negative battery cable, then rotate the old/stuck key and somehow mark the position of max rotation. Then install new cylinder and check that it rotates the same amount. I mean, if you're not changing the electrical portion of the switch, then the problem must be something mechanical. Ensure the actuator at the end of the cylinder is exactly the same size as the old one.
Is it possible that you are going past the start position? That would explain why you only get the momentary click. Try rotating the switch slowly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When both cylinders are out of the vehical they are exactly the same, and same rotation, so with the old key the radio turns off and then back on, with the new one the radio turns off but not back on. All the dash lights work the same. Im going to waste money getting a new one from another company. Rotation is the only thing it could be. Turned the part it fits into with a L pick and it srarts just fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also, i tried to take the non existent security system into program mode and the horn never beeped, verifying theres no system to program. And if there was i wouldnt be able to start it with no ignition Cylinder

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So the first click hapens with both keys, i dont hear the secont click that sound like its comming from the glove box when i start with the old key, i believe that the click is litterly the same sound you hear when batterie cables are loose.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, just wasted another $40. Now i have 3 ignition cylinders and 3 keys, and only one works. The one i got from orielly now does the same thing, click no start. Put original back in and starts no problem.

·
Registered
07 OBW 2.5i 4EAT; Eastern Ontario, Canada
16,507 Posts
Ok, just wasted another $40. Now i have 3 ignition cylinders and 3 keys, and only one works. The one i got from orielly now does the same thing, click no start. Put original back in and starts no problem.
1) Would it be possible to post photos (different angles) of the replacement cylinder(s) and the original lock cylinder, and, hopefully, a look into the lock body so that we can see where/how the cylinder engages the electrical part of the switch.

2) Earlier it's mentioned that "it starts with a screwdriver ". Could you explain, and perhaps illustrate with photos, exactly what you are doing in this case?

3) Could you describe the "click" in more detail? As the electrical switch is not being changed, it hardly makes sense that changing a lock cylinder, which simply turns the switch, could cause it not to work. I'm wondering if the extension shaft going to the switch on the replacements is too long, or too short, or, as was mentioned earlier, the new ignition switches aren't rotating to the proper positions to make the needed connection. (This also goes to the question of where the "click" is coming from.)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts