Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My timing belt shredded, but didn't break. Replaced all of the timing components. 99.89% sure it's done right, but I don't know how to check. Tested the compression and 2,3 & 4 are 0 P.S.I., while 1 is 80ish P.S.I.

The plugs and wires are nasty.

I think it's bigger than that, though.

Tell me what to do!!!???

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,621 Posts
did you use the line/dash on the tab at the rear of the crank sprocket to align? you never use the arrow or dimple on the front.

check timing again and do a tooth count, it's a great double check after the belt has been moved off its marks - search for tooth count online.

some 2.2 engines can have valve damage I think - hoping yours is just misaligned or jumped time.

did you get a new tensioner? if you re-used yours, did you compress is VERY slowly? maybe it is damaged and let the timing slip?

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Convenience
1,315 Posts
@'97GonePostal, while that image is kind of cool, it would be much more beneficial to post pictures of the crank alignment and both cams with the new belt on so we can see you have the timing right (since you're not 100% sure! :grin2:)

Since you're getting something on cylinder 1, it has me a bit concerned about valve damage. Once we know you have the timing spot on, we can better advise you on what to look at.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
New tensioner. I made sure to buy new everything so none of that could be the problem.

Btw....I only posted that picture for entertainment purposes...Lol.

Here are more pictures. These are from BEFORE the compression test. Not sure if the following comment matters, but my SubiBaby seemed to sound better right after the timing was replaced.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
did you use the line/dash on the tab at the rear of the crank sprocket to align? you never use the arrow or dimple on the front.

check timing again and do a tooth count, it's a great double check after the belt has been moved off its marks - search for tooth count online.

some 2.2 engines can have valve damage I think - hoping yours is just misaligned or jumped time.

did you get a new tensioner? if you re-used yours, did you compress is VERY slowly? maybe it is damaged and let the timing slip?
What is the line/dash? Can you explain via my pictures?

·
Registered
17,621 Posts
looks like you have it right - sorta bad news actually

look at the metal tabs on the rear of the crank sprocket (the crank position sensor responds to those) there is one with a groove/dash in it, the line on that tab is for timing belt installation because all the pistons are at midpoint and, on interference engines, it guarantees no contact with valves if camshafts spin or flip out of position.

- some folks mistakenly use the TDC triangle on the front of the sprocket

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Convenience
1,315 Posts
@'97GonePostal, what do you mean by:
"but my SubiBaby seemed to sound better right after the timing was replaced"

How are you starting the car with only 1 cylinder having some compression and it sounding better? Must have sounded rotten with the shredded belt!

Timing looks good. It really leaves only bent valves as the reason for no compression. I suppose a blown gasket could do that too, but that would be dubious

·
Registered
17,621 Posts
with that little line on the 'boss' with the cps

you cand find images and maybe videos on-line.

even if you were 1 notch off, you'd have compression I think - this is where a tooth count can help, you'll know if you'r even 1 tooth off-time.

slim chance but, are the cam pulleys secure? no cracks and solid on the cams?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Soooo....replacing the valves and headgaskets, etc. Whole top end. It knicked a piston, but it's minute so it should be fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts