Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
97 Gas Door Lock Broken

The locking mechanism to my gas door has broken. The piece on the left of the cap where it locks has fell into the hole somehow. I see it flapping in my rear-view mirror.

Any way to fix it? or Just get a replacement lock?

EDIT: I mean't door. :(

·
Registered
335 Posts
Gas door? Or cap? I assume you're talkin about door? My recommendation is go to a you pull it type junkyard and get the piece that's missing? Do you have any pics?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
there is a spring tab on the hinge side of the door. remove it, or reverse it and put the nut back on, and the door will stay closed.

you will have to use something to pry it open to when you want to pump gas. i use a plastic ''key tag'' on my key ring. you know, the bar code tag that you use at the grocery store for discounts.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gas door? Or cap? I assume you're talkin about door? My recommendation is go to a you pull it type junkyard and get the piece that's missing? Do you have any pics?
OOPS.. i meant to say fuel door. lack of sleep. Pics, yes i do.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bump! picture re-attached.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Bump! picture re-attached.
not yet.

i think the gas door end of the release cable is all one piece. it sounds like what ever hold the release button in the body of the car is missing or broken. but if you can re-fit it and secure it you should be good. you will probably have to remove the interior trim panel?????

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Picture finally fixed.

So there is a cable that runs from the lever in the cabin to the lock mechanism at the gas door?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
3 Participants
SuperSingh
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing