Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Afternoon,

Hope everyone's day is going well. My wife and I have a 97 Subaru. We were having some overheating issues and took it to the mechanic. It wasn't our normal mechanic, but he lives further away and we are down to one car right now so we weren't able to get it to him.

We took it in and they said it was the water pump. We asked if they thought there was anything else we were going to need done and they said no. So we replaced the water pump, timing belt, etc... hoping to get a good amount more miles out of it. They had also told us the CV joints were going to need done soon. So we ended getting those done a few weeks later. After we got those done we noticed that our back tire was acting weird. I guess something had gone wrong with one of the tires. So we got four new tires. Then the car was very bouncy after the new tires so we had to get the rear strut done. Then it started overheating again, so we took it in and they thought it was the fan which wasn't kicking on. So they fixed the fan for us. Honestly, if we had known all of this in the beginning we wouldn't have gotten it fixed originally. However, they kept coming two weeks after we would get one of the other ones done. Well, after the fan we thought we would good to go. Then it started overheating again. We took it back in and they said it was the headgasket. So 2100 later and car is still overheating. I know that is more than the car was worth, but after we got a few things done, we were like, well we might as well get this done so we can get some more time out of it. Well I am not very mechanical so I can't do the head gasket myself and it doesn't seem to make sense to do it on a car that has 189,000 miles on it (I know, neither did putting 2100 into it). Next time we start to have cooling issues in a car we will probably get rid of it as I didn't realize it was so hard to diagnose things. I guess it had never failed a compression test even after they diagnosed the head gasket leak. I wish I would have done more reading and realized that the subarus have this issue. So, we put some stop leak in it (I know a lot of people don't like it, but that is what we opted to do cause we aren't planning on getting it fixed). Well before I even put in the stop leak I was having issues with the coolant reservoir being very high. I thought maybe the mechanic had put more in, but after driving for a little while it has stayed very high which makes me wonder if any coolant is circulating through. The other weird thing is how much the temperature gauge jumps. It will be really hot, then go back down, then go back up, then go back down. Even when I pull over the car doesn't seem super hot. I normally turn the heat up if I'm having any overheating. The other thing I noticed is that when the temp gauge gets warmer the air being blown is less hot. Anyway... is it typical for a headgasket to cause the reservoir to not flow? The mechanic said it is an external head gasket leak, but I don't notice a lot leaking out anywhere. Anyone have any ideas on what I could do to try and keep it going for a little longer and/or why the reservoir tank is still full? I don't know much about cars, but I figure now is a good time to start learning!

Kevin

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,647 Posts
what city? maybe someone here can recommend a good mechanic.

if you have a typical, small, 180* thermostat, it must be replaced with an OEM 170* large capsule style.

I think you need a different mechanic.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts