Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys recently blew the engine on my 2.2 L 97 impreza/outback and was wondering if a 2.0l turbo from a 99 legacy gt would swap in with relatively small changes

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,193 Posts
so you want to swap your EJ221 for some kind of JDM 2.0.

____

you would need like the whole JDM car sitting there. so you could have ALL the parts major and minor to transfer, intake through exhaust, all wiring, and maybe the trans / axles.

...and if working by yourself it may take 6-8 months.

and you would probably have to custom make a cross member,...

____

this vs. just finding another goodie EJ221,...or EJ18 and putting it in there. then you find a turbo car that makes you happy, and sell the impreza outback sport to some that will love it. (with its frugal fuel consumption, and reliability).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so you want to swap your EJ221 for some kind of JDM 2.0.

____

you would need like the whole JDM car sitting there. so you could have ALL the parts major and minor to transfer, intake through exhaust, all wiring, and maybe the trans / axles.

...and if working by yourself it may take 6-8 months.

and you would probably have to custom make a cross member,...

____

this vs. just finding another goodie EJ221,...or EJ18 and putting it in there. then you find a turbo car that makes you happy, and sell the impreza outback sport to some that will love it. (with its frugal fuel consumption, and reliability).
both cars are not jdm, and both are automatic.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
Can't be. There was no 2.0 turbo engine in a 1999 Legacy.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
turbo....would swap in with relatively small changes
no

no changes in transmission, drive train that kinda thing
that's not even small. that's easy compared to the electrical work involved in a turbo swap.

a 2.0l turbo from a 99 legacy gt
doesn't exist. Some people think that because it has a hood scoop, which a 99 GT does, that means it's a turbo - if you were told that then it's not true.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,193 Posts
Can't be. There was no 2.0 turbo engine in a 1999 Legacy.
if this is canada, there are all kinds of limited production or customized JDM cars imported there used whole,....that you can't take south of the boarder and plate in the states. (so either a factory car,...or some ricer did drop a WRX engine in a 99 legacy).

I was and am kind of of the thought this maybe one of them, and its been plated a used there for a few years. ...but I don't read much about 20 year old subaru turbos. (...which I could only drop into a 1995 and earlier legally).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if this is canada, there are all kinds of limited production or customized JDM cars imported there used whole,....that you can't take south of the boarder and plate in the states. (so either a factory car,...or some ricer did drop a WRX engine in a 99 legacy).

I was and am kind of of the thought this maybe one of them, and its been plated a used there for a few years. ...but I don't read much about 20 year old subaru turbos. (...which I could only drop into a 1995 and earlier legally).
you would be correct I am in canada, its a salvage 99 legacy from what I've read/seen its a 2.0 turbo

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,317 Posts
no changes in transmission, drive train that kinda thing.
Might have to put you down as kinda comedic. :wink2: I was being a bit on the sarcastic side with my first post as a feeler for what you intend. Modifying cars is never a small chore. Whether its a Subaru, Nissan, Audi or any car made after 1982 really. It involves time, patience and a lot of work. But if you have a vision for what you want out of the car, and are willing to go through the process of building it, then go for it. People thought I was nuts to boost my VDC, but I had an idea that wouldn't go away, stayed at the back of my mind creeping up every once in a while that told me it was possible to boost a high compression engine without internal changes and the boxer was the one to do it to. Almost 30k miles later and its still running strong, no oil consumption greater than it was prior, no temperature issues and no broken parts. :grin2:

Like the others posted, its not as easy as swapping in a good engine for a bad one. If you have available to you the whole car, wrecked or not, that you can park in the vicinity of the one with the blown engine, it is possible to do the swap. Think of it as a lot of small changes. Fortunately, these cars are "sectioned" when it comes to harnesses and you take bulk sections out of the car as you go and modify where you need it for the harness to fit and work with your accessories. The harness in the turbo car may already have been modified to fit in the 99. You would have to remove the harnesses, marking every plug to its purpose and lay them out side to side and verify that the "new" harness will fit, or how much you have to change.

You will need to do a lot of measuring in the engine bay to see where you have to modify the crossmember for the plumbing and build it accordingly before you can drop the new engine in.

You will need to make your own pipes. Exhaust, charge pipe, intercooler mounting (top or front?).

These things need to be thought about. And you will also want to consider the ease of performing regular maintenance on the vehicle afterward. Example: I had to reposition the ABS/VDC module/motor and power steering reservoir and hoses to make space for the SC. The brake lines had to be bent in such a manner that I had room to perform task to the engine without moving the ABS to do it. Like spark plugs, injector rail, etc.. (I changed the injector size twice), so this was all forethought. Here and the post after it has pictures and video of before and after: https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/462299-post26.html.

From start to finish my car took me a week and a half to get the mods done and everything mounted in and the car running. I worked on it daily. But I used shop space, a lift, I have loads of tools at my disposal and a couple times my tech stepped in to lend a hand. I also have a long background of building cars over the years. This one was number 10 for me personally, then there's the customers' cars. So, depending on your abilities and tools available to you, think about your timeline. Plan ahead. Also know that what you plan is not always how it will turn out. But don't let discouragement stop you. If you build it, it will run.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts