Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the rear wiper on the rear hatch does not work when i turn it on i hear a relay in the rear pass 1/4 trim panel click but the wiper does not work i took the motor off and tried it and it works but when i turn on the switch in the car all i get is a clicking from inside the trim panel any help ???

·
Registered
98 Legacy Outback
37 Posts
I'm not sure if this is the same rear window wiper as a legacy outback 98. But it sounds like the gears in the motor might be stripped out.

The gears in my motor were destroyed somehow from the previous owner. I took the back hatch apart and took the motor out and took the motor apart it was pretty easy to find out what was going in. I went to a junk yard and got a used motor and slapped it on my car and now it works as good as new.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,490 Posts
I had a rear wiper quit and it ended up being a short in the rear wiper wash motor. Hook everything back up to the car and check the wiper. If it still doesn't work, unplug the rear washer motor and try again.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
when i take the motor out of the car it works fine as does the washer motor when i put it back and try it i hear the relay click and nothing happens the washer works when it is installed in the car

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Here's the wiring diagram for the Outback. I would suspect the Impreza is similar if not the same. (EDIT: It's close but not identical --- see post #9 below):

With this arrangement, with the ignition On and the wiper control at On, there should be 12 V at pins 1 and 2 of harness connector D43. (Pin 1 gets power directly from FB-14, pin 2 is supplied from FB-14 through the energized wiper relay.) Pin 3 of the harness connector should have continuity to a car body ground.

Check for 12 V at pins 1 and 2 of the harness connector, and for ground continuity from pin 3.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,490 Posts
I chased wires for an hour. Everything checked out. Column panel off, hood up, extension cables for the ohm meter hanging out the door. I got tired of pulling plugs and pin checking and said F it, unplug one item at a time until I find it.

I'm telling you, my washer worked, the wiper didn't, but the washer was shorting the system. Unplug the washer and see if the wiper works. If it does, get a new pump.

Somewhere in the scheme of Subie wiring, probably at the relay, when you activate the washer, it trips the wiper to come on. If you have the wiper on, you can wash. If the pump is shorting, throws it off and the relay won't trigger the wiper.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Okay, found the 97 Impreza wiring diagram. (There appears to be two rear washer motors. Could this be an error in the diagram or are there two, one in front and another at the back?)

cardoc is quite right in noting that when the washer is activated the wiper comes on. In this diagram, at the rear wiper and washer switch, it appears there's two washer positions; one is washer spray only, the other is washer and wiper. The switch grounds the low side of the washer motor(s) and/or the rear wiper relay energizing coil.

The harness connector at the wiper motor is slightly different layout; nevertheless, with the wiper switch at on and the ignition on, there should be 12 V at pin 1 and 2 of D43, and pin 3 should go to ground.

I hear you cardoc. If a washer pump motor is seized, because the washer and wiper are off the same fuse source, when the switch is set to activate the washer there would be a fairly low resistance through the seized washer motor to ground, dropping the 12 V at the fuse (#2). Perhaps not enough to blow the fuse but low enough to prevent the wiper motor from running.

But, what if the switch is set only to run the wipers, not the washer? If the washer motor is seized, but the low side isn't grounded through the wiper control switch, it shouldn't have any effect. If I understand the issue here, the wiper motor doesn't run regardless of which wiper switch position is being used.

But I grant that sometimes it doesn't always follow logic . . . .

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,490 Posts
My pump wasn't seized. It worked. But when the wipers were supposed to come on whether with the pump or just the wiper, nothing. The short in the pump, since it is connected to the relay, was inhibiting the wiper from working. Call it a lack of ample electron movement due to a short. I swapped the pump and haven't had a problem.

I'll also remind you about the key getting stuck in the ignition switch with the horn fuse blown. I found that by goof because it wasn't in the wiring diagram I had. I checked the horn fuse because the horn didn't work when some jackass turned in on me. When I changed the fuse, the key dinger started going off. Put 2 and 2 together and pulled the key out of the ignition. Horn worked another 20 times or so before blowing the fuse, and the key is stuck again. Changed horns, new fuse, problem solved.

There is a reservoir and pump in the back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts