Subaru Outback Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Legacy Outback wagon 2.5l auto- 316050 miles and currently dying. Ask about cheap parts
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it all. Got an offer for $500 scrap if I drive the car in. If anyone needs any parts that are non essential to me driving the car in, post here let me know. Open to reasonable offers. Or if anyone wants to take the whole car for parts....
I accept paypal, and ship via UPS or priority mail, whichever is cheapest.

Car has transmission troubles. Potentially compounded by an internally separated right front CV axle but not sure. I won't be fixing the tranny and I am buying a new car, so I'd prefer to give this one a chance to live on in someone elses car before it hits the crusher.

If you are local to Reading PA and want to stop out to pull parts, you are welcome to do so (shoot me a pm to make the arrangements)

Car has newer right front wheel bearing and hub assembly. Also has Whiteline WL51710 polyurethane front LCA rear inner bushings installed, less than 200 miles on them.

·
Registered
1997 Legacy Outback wagon 2.5l auto- 316050 miles and currently dying. Ask about cheap parts
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'd sell the entire car for $1000 OBO. Considering I have over double that into the car, and trade in value (even with 316k miles) is $1700, I think a grand is more than fair. Engine runs excellent, and I suspect it was replaced in 2003 when this transmission was installed (it has the MLS gaskets. timing/wp are 25k miles, has brand new radiator with roughly 7k miles, etc)

It'd honestly be worth rescuing if someone had a trans laying around ;) (hint hint lockmedic :D) But its not financially viable or smart for me to replace the tranny given what I already have into the car and what its booking for (trade and private party)

·
Premium Member
2005 Mazda 6 && 2007 Outback 3.0 LLBean, WGO
388 Posts
Hm... since I'm replacing mine (1999), any chance you can post a front-on photo of the secondary fan (4-blade one & shroud)? The Subaru part # is different from 1997 to 1999, but if yours has had an engine replaced, perhaps other parts are different...?
Also, does yours have rear tweeter speakers, or a sub? I'd ask for shipping to 06516; let me know if they're there, and I can PM you an offer. Thanks!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll see about the fan and shroud tomorrow. As for tweeters and sub, I'm 95% certain this car doesn't have them. It is a base Legacy Outback, not the Limited.

I'm not 100% certain the engine has been replaced, however I do have a high suspicion that it was, given how well it runs and the fact that it does have the MLS gaskets sticking out the bottom of the heads. This motor is pretty tight, no leaks and doesnt burn a drop of oil. The oil fill tube gasket has a minor leak, but thats not a big issue (its 45 cents new from Subaru lol). That says a lot right there, considering every Subaru over 100k tends to leak oil like a sieve from what I've seen.

Shipping would be a ~$15 UPS ground or ~$13 USPS (flat rate priority), depending on weight and size. I ship UPS from my friend's business and pay them the costs, USPS requires I drive to the post office.

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5
94 Posts
I am in need of a driver side tail lamp assembly. I'm sure I need more, but that's all I can think of right now. I just bought the car and need to do a bunch of work to it to get it back on the road.

I live in Delaware, shipping 19938.
Thank you!
Adam
[email protected]

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am in need of a driver side tail lamp assembly. I'm sure I need more, but that's all I can think of right now. I just bought the car and need to do a bunch of work to it to get it back on the road.

I live in Delaware, shipping 19938.
Thank you!
Adam
[email protected]

Shoot me a PM and we can talk price.. I'm about an hour and a 45 minutes from you, you'd be welcome to come by and pick up if you'd like. I figure shipping to you would probably be about $12 give or take, since you are so close.

I will give you a heads up, my driver side assembly does have a scuff across the top of it along the side (where it wraps around the back end to the side of the car), but it could potentially be buffed out. The previous owners wife backed out of their 1.5 car garage and nicked the passenger side mirror of their CR-V along the side of this car, so there's white paint on the lamp.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bump. Still available, make offers. Need to square everything away so I can get my new vehicle ASAP. Going to the scrapyard at the end of the week (unless someone takes it off my hands). Shame to scrap it, tons of good parts on this car.

Wheels and tires are in excellent shape if anyone needs another set for winter. Tires have ~75% tread left on them (Michelin)

·
Registered
98 Outback Limited - CCR EJ22 installed 2006
63 Posts
Bump. Still available, make offers. Need to square everything away so I can get my new vehicle ASAP. Going to the scrapyard at the end of the week (unless someone takes it off my hands). Shame to scrap it, tons of good parts on this car.

Wheels and tires are in excellent shape if anyone needs another set for winter. Tires have ~75% tread left on them (Michelin)
If you're willing to pull them, I'd take any valves, solenoids, or switches related to the evap system around the back charcoal cannister or the fuel pump/sending unit. I know that's a pretty broad description, but I have something malfunctioning back there and I don't know what it is. Let me know if you're up for that. Can PM (slightly) more specific details. Thanks.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Could probably do ya one better and send you the entire evap system. I'll have to take a look at it and see whats involved in pulling everything, but it should be no problem. Shoot me a PM with an offer and more details, and we'll go from there

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sale Pending.

Got your PM Adam. Give me a call on my cell later tonight, we'll make a plan. I'm going to run the car up to my friend's shop and see if I can borrow his Snap On MODIS scanner, try and pull any tranny codes if there are any.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Car sold, new owner picking up sunday. thanks everyone!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.