Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have some issues with my car I just bought 2 months ago, I am hoping its not the HG, but I suspect it is. 97 outback 2.5L, 105k. The other day I was driving home from work, it's about 5mi, surface streets. My temp gauge started creeping up, I pulled over, waited a bit, then drove home. Today I took it on a 5 min drive, and it started to overheat again. I also noticed a few other issues: when I first start the car in the morning, it made a gurgling, liquidy sound from behind the dash for a minute. It stopped after the car warmed up. Also the heater was blowing cold, even after it warmed up. The coolant is low in the radiator (I haven't topped it off yet, but I couldn't see the coolant looking down the neck), overflow tank is just below the 'full' line. It seems to me like the overflow coolant is kind of a murky brown color, but it doesn't seem thick/viscous. The oil doesn't look bad to me, from what I've read HG issues can make it lighter in color and thicker; it was dark, and seemed to have the right viscosity.

Is this most likely an HG, or are there other (hopefully cheaper) issues that could cause these symptoms? Obviously can't afford costly repairs, or I'd have a newer Subie.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,212 Posts
these sad threads pop up occasionally,

a first post, with a newly bought EJ25D powered 96-99, and its just a typical goner EJ25D head gasket,... you might be able to drive it like this for a week or 3, but it is slowly melting.

not worth fixing the engine you have in the state it is in already.

the car was being sold as someone told the previous owner it would take $2000-2500 to fix. (locating a "good" EJ25D is hard, as they were kind of crap from the factory, ...some had head gasket failures right away).

so how about a great EJ22 from the picking order on this thread: (as not all are correct,...we made it a "sticky' thread under gen1 as this is regular stuff here

or you just toss this car for something better,
...and ANYTHING is better then getting stuck on a desolate highway in the winter with a car like yours is today and as long as you drive it .

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/111-gen-1-1995-1999/248329-ej22-swap-into-ej25d-dohc-vehicle.html

if your car has any fist hole sized rust at all on it, I would not consider putting another engine in though, (...some of these are ready to land on the road with the rear springs through the hatch)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I was afraid of that. I think I will probably just try to find another car and see what I can get out of this one. Thankfully it's tax return season.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
1. first fill the radiator and keep an eye on radiator coolant level and any possible leaking. maybe it's just low on coolant.

Yes that engine is the worst Subaru ever made, but a 20 year old car with a small coolant leak somewhere isn't a shocker either.

If it is headgasket this is typical - someone else had issues and traded the car in, went to auction, and someone bought it to flip.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,212 Posts
Thanks, I was afraid of that. I think I will probably just try to find another car and see what I can get out of this one. Thankfully it's tax return season.

I might have called it out as a HG too early, maybe it is loosing coolant somewhere, getting air in the system, or the rad is clogged.

and someone put some GMC orange coolant mix in. (vs. the traditional green mix it takes,...orange and green would make brown).
(I guess the brown does not look oily like ATF or engine oil).

_____

DIY or have someone drain it, fill it with typical green mix, burp it, and pressure test it, with a new thermostat.
(a OEM or a Stant Xact themostat stat only,...and a new OEM rad cap
...no substitute on rad cap = subaru is rare and special on those with their OEM measure in KPA, aftermarkets are too tight / too loose).

_____
problem is if you don't do the above, you are making a head gasket problem from one that may not exist.
(= car is overheating and you are driving it,...it will run just enough to start and keep ruining itself,....aluminum engines melt fast).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts