Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all (this is my 4th time tryin to post so bear with me...lol)

purchased a 97 OB automatic AWD with the 2.2 already swapped in...gonna fix it up for my daughter to use as her daily...198k on body with an unknown mileage 2.2

clean cheap runs/drives decent enough...thinkin a decent platform to baseline...prefered a manual but couldnt pass it up

couple of questions on a 2.5 automatic mated to a 2.2

1) it has a slight surge or jerk when shift from 1st to 2nd...would that be due to slightly different shift points from less hp and torque of the 2.2 vs the 2.5 or should i start seaching for a new trans...lol? ...was planning on flushing and new fluids this weekend as a start...also how hard to swap to a manual?

2) ABS lite comes on with 'key on' but goes off after start up...i brake hard but dont feel pulse...would i only feel the pulse on a dirt road?

3) I thought i read that there is a way to bypass the AWD and run in FWD only...how can i tell if the AWD working correctly?

thanks again
b

·
Registered
97 Outback 240000
1,139 Posts
Regarding question #1 I can say that my 97 jerks from 1st to 2nd and my mechanic says there is nothing wrong, it just does that. It has the original 2.5 engine in it and it is completely stock. #2 My ABS light is one of several lights that come on at start up, then go out. #3 When the AWD is in bypass mode there will be a constant light on the same panel as the ABS light. Welcome to the board. There are many others here with knowledge greater than mine who can help. Hope your daughter appreciates the car. My daughter will be driving my car soon if we are lucky (CA smog issues).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Regarding question #1 I can say that my 97 jerks from 1st to 2nd and my mechanic says there is nothing wrong, it just does that. It has the original 2.5 engine in it and it is completely stock. #2 My ABS light is one of several lights that come on at start up, then go out. #3 When the AWD is in bypass mode there will be a constant light on the same panel as the ABS light. Welcome to the board. There are many others here with knowledge greater than mine who can help. Hope your daughter appreciates the car. My daughter will be driving my car soon if we are lucky (CA smog issues).
Thanks for the reply...good to know bout the shifting...

Daughter loves the car...we decided to buy the car but she has to pay for her insurance...our insurance company has discounts for good GPA's so will have to maintain her grades or pay more and also we figure she will try her best not to get in accident else her insurance will go up...

Found a way to disengage the AWD by using a fuse to put it into bypass mode for the spare tire donut per the owners manual...will try this weekend

Need to check that the "Airbag" light comes ON during 'Key On' i do not remember if it did or not...doh

Also gonna check all fuse panels...

Have a good weekend

·
Registered
97 Outback 240000
1,139 Posts
Shoot I responded but my post disappeared...anyway please do a search on this website regarding the FWD mode. You will find it is not something you want to do any more than needed. I thought you were correcting the actions of a previous owner. Best of luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just wanted to determine if the FWD dash light was burned out...I briefly put in bypass mode via fuse and the FWD light does comes on...so would assume AWD working or at least light working...lol

Airbag light does indeed come on with 'key on' BUT noticed that CEL no longer comes on with 'key on'...is it common for these bulbs to burn out? I remember seeing it on last friday...seems like a quick few turns of a screwdriver to check the bulb?

·
Registered
97 Outback 240000
1,139 Posts
I understand. Those lights are the only ones that I have not replaced but there is info on this site that explains it. Just use the search. I can't link it, this hotel wifi is so glitchy this is my second attempt to reply.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Ltd 2.5 eyesight Nav push button Hole in roof, Lapis Blue
737 Posts
Re CE light, a quick trip to Autozone or some other parts stores and they can read the errors and tell you if there are any codes, could be the bulb was pulled to cover up a problem?? just saying..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
pulled cluster to check bulb (was easy enough)...bulb was there but must be burned out or swapped out for a non-working bulb seems like all other bulbs in right location

also noticed a blank light called 'height hi' holding panel up to the sunlight? never heard of that one?

do have a code...p0441 evap system...assuming this will put car into some sort of limp mode or at least effect (or is it affect?) fuel economy? looks like canister is not hooked up? I see an empty vacuum hose near the front passenger headlight...will look closer tonite

forgot to mention that when stopped and have foot on brake get a vibration or rattle forward of the steering wheel in dash or in front of dash...I assume brake system located there? common noise?

tested awd...no binding

tested abs on snowy road...got the pulse...so assume system workin as should

·
Registered
97 Outback 240000
1,139 Posts
I've been searching some of the things you have mentioned. Looks like that height feature wasn't on our cars, but it would have been very cool. Sorry I can't be more helpful but there are folks on here that know more.

I did have to get the power steering fixed a few years ago. It was a clatter from the area you describe that I could hear more clearly if I had the windows down and was taking 90 degree turns around the neighborhood, especially on slopes. Seriously, I took the mechanic out to recreate it for him and it was silent! Eventually it leaked fluid onto the drivers side floor mat below the steering column. It messed with the dome light and ignition/gear shift controls in the column but those issues went away once it was repaired correctly. Costly stuff since I am not a mechanic.

Bulbs on the other hand are easy for even me to replace with the help of others on this board who "light the way"!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts