Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have a 97 Outback and threw a rod in the engine WOO! Anyways it currently has a 2.5 in it with manual trans. so I am looking to swap the engine. I have found a 95 or 96 engine the guy selling it sin't 100% sure but he tells me it is a 2.5. The question I really have is will it match up? I'm pretty sure my current engine is Dual cam and I know the engine I am looking to buy is a single cam. I don't what All I would need to do in order to make those line up or if it is even possible.

Any help you all can give would be great. And try and keep it in dumb terms I'm am new to these cars and engine swaps on post 64 year vehicles.

Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The main thing I guess I really need to know is if my engine is a dual cam or not? And then what I would need to do to make the single cam work if mine is dual

·
Registered
1999 Outback Wagon Green 2.2 swap
50 Posts
In that year range the only 2.5 offerred was a DOHC. If the engine he is trying to sell you is a 2.5 and is a SOHC it is not from a 90-anything Legacy. The only SOHC 2.5 offered in the 90's was in the 99 Impreza 2.5RS and the 99 Forester. All 2.5 non turbo engines from 2000-2004 were SOHC. If the motor he wants to sell you is a SOHC and is from a 96 or 97, it is a 2.2. The 2.2 is the best engine they ever made, arguably. The 2.2 will work just fine in there but depending on what all you get you will have to make some slight modifications. Do a simple search on here and you will find tons of information about it.
If that is a 2.5 out of a 2000+, keep looking. Without a lot of work and more money than it is worth, it wont work.
Don't take this the wrong way but I have to put it on here because some people may not know.
DOHC = Dual Over Head Cam
SOHC = Single Over Head Cam
On a side note, the head gaskets just blew in the 99 Outback that I purchased a couple of days ago. It is at the shop right now getting a 2.2 swapped into it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've looked around a good deal on here and I was wondering if anyone new of a forum post on here where someone did kind of a step by step engine swap from a 2.5 to a 2.2?

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
There isn't one that I know of, but no need for a step by step:
1. Remove old engine
2. Install new engine

Everything you need to know is already on the USMB:
if you're okay ignoring the check engine light and EGR then:
Any 1995 is plug and play and runs fine.
Any 1996 is the same except you'll any single port exhaust manifold as well (which means any 1996-2001 EJ22 exhaust manifold). Get that manifold and that engine is also plug and play.
Swap all the accessories (power steering pump, A/C and brackets from old engine to new engine)
If you can remove an engine and install an engine, you can do this.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok cool I guess I just worry to much I hate to get in the project and get stuck. But I will figure this thing out. So I guess the biggest thing I need to do is figure out about the exhaust ports on the engine I am buying and mine. I understand that is about the only real problem you run into on these swaps. Well that and the EGR which I could care less about

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
Just ask here or USMB as you go along.

The exhaust manifolds are all interchangeable, so as long as you can find a single port exhaust manifold it also bolts right in place of the dual port, same configuration, mounting, etc. very simple....you just need to makes sure you can get one, like with the engine you're buying. many junk yards won't sell them if they think there's a converter or pre-converter in the pipe. so i'd be hesitatnt to buy a motor from a guy who doesn't have the pipe until you can source a pipe or are sure you can get one.

These are the kinds of details a step by step can't give you! Ask each question you have along the way and you'll make it!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad your on here to answer my questions I will start looking into this. So all 2.5's were dual? I guess I will start looking for the single port exhaust then. This guy seems to think I can take the head off my 2.5 and put that on the 2.2 and that would make it line up to my manifold. Is this possible or just BS?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here are pictures of the engine. See if you guys can tell if its a single or dual exhaust manifold. and anything else I should look for on it when I go to look at it.
engine1.jpg
engine2.jpg
engine3.jpg
engine4.jpg
engine5.jpg
engine6.jpg

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,439 Posts
That is an EJ22 if I am not mistaken. Can't tell if its single or dual port exahaust without a picture of the exhaust manifold output. Read as a picture of the bottom of the engine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok thats what I thought. Thats what this guy says it has so it should match right up to my 2.5's then. I hope at least

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
that is a 90 - 94 ej22. it is dual port exhaust.

it does not have EGR and although it will swap into a 96 - 99 ej25 car, it will cause a CEL that you will never get rid of.

beware.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok so I finally got my engine and I'm getting ready to put it in this weekend. I have replaced the timing belt, pulleys, water pump new head gaskets, valve cover gaskets. My question is I'm now getting all my fluids and I was going to pick up what I thought was just a single serpentine belt for the car to run the a/c and all the other accessories that just bolt on to this engine.
The guys at Autozone don't always have right info so my question is. I have a 97 2.2 I am putting into the car (not the one pictured on the last page) how do those belts work? I ask this because my 2.5 has a tensioner pulley on the front of the engine to right of the main pulley. The 2.2 just has the main Pulley so how do I adjust tension and all of that? Has anyone ran into this before in switching from 2.5 to 2.2?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Alright new question. I got my engines switched out Woo! But the engine will not start. When I turn the keey the engine will turn over just not fire up. I can tell it's getting fuel because I can smell the gas. But it seems to not be getting any spark. I replaced the spark plugs (HGK) and my spark plugs wires are fine. So what could be causing me not to fire up? is it a possible fuse? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes I used this exact guide as a matter of fact. The arrows are only used when rotating the crank to see when you are at TDC. Like I said the engine is cranking fine when I turn the key it just will not fire up

1 - 20 of 25 Posts