Subaru Outback Forums banner

97 OB new noise after changing alternator belt

141 Views 9 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  cardoc
I heard this strange noise and tried to locate where it’s coming from. Honestly it sounds like it’s coming from the throttle body? Or to the top left of the engine bay… I thought it was my belt as I just put a new one on days ago and thought maybe it’s too tight. It randomly started happening tonight while idling and all I could think was i must have done something wrong with the belt but I’m pretty sure I didn’t and the noise doesn’t seem to come from there. Can anyone identify this sound???

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
19,179 Posts
Remove the belt from the PS/Alt and see if it still makes the noise. If not, turn the alt pulley by hand and feel if it's got any roughness or resistance.

If the noise remains with the belt off, how old are the timing components? You have the tensioner and pulleys that will wear and make noise.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Remove the belt from the PS/Alt and see if it still makes the noise. If not, turn the alt pulley by hand and feel if it's got any roughness or resistance.

If the noise remains with the belt off, how old are the timing components? You have the tensioner and pulleys that will wear and make noise.
it’s definitely coming from the belt area but I can’t see any reason for the noise to be happening. The belt I just put on looks completely fine. The timing components are semi-new it’s not that, this just happened after changing my belt. Could my belt be too tight?

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

When I put the alternator belt back on I spun it on the pulley just to make sure it was on track. Cause this have thrown my timing off?

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ugh it sounds like it’s coming from the right side of my timing cover. Only place I can pinpoint it. Why would this be happening after i changed an alternator belt? Is it too tight?? Did I mess something up when I spun the belt with the car off?

· Premium Member
19,179 Posts
Spinning the accessory belts has nothing to do with timing.

The Alr belt can be too tight and put too much pressure on the shaft and bearings which will cause noise. That's why I said check it with the belt off.

If there's noise from behind the timing cover, you can fashion a stethoscope to help isolate the noise, then it may be an idler pulley and it's just coincidence of time. If the timing belt kit that was installed was a Gates, I've seen them fail 10k miles in. Gates = Junk

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

The Alr belt can be too tight and put too much pressure on the shaft and bearings which will cause noise. That's why I said check it with the belt off.

If there's noise from behind the timing cover, you can fashion a stethoscope to help isolate the noise, then it may be an idler pulley and it's just coincidence of time. If the timing belt kit that was installed was a Gates, I've seen them fail 10k miles in. Gates = Junk
ill go check the parts number on the timing kit the previous owner put in. Was about 100k miles ago. Took both belts off still hearing the noise, top right of timing cover. I put the alternator belt on a little tight but honestly it was exactly as tight as the last one that was on.

Could it have been from the alternator capture nut I dropped and left off for two days? I don’t see how that would mess something up in my timing tho. There’s no way it’s just a coincidence I change my alternator belt and then something in the top right of my timing cover goes two days later. Idk I’m gonna have to rip it apart tomorrow and look I guess, Any special tools I’ll need other than a torque wrench? I have basic hand tools on me at the moment so this should be interesting

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)

it wasn’t a timing kit installed, just the belt… so I guess I’m about to learn how to do a timing kit job on an EJ25D

· Premium Member
19,179 Posts
I'd say you need a full timing kit w/tensioner. If you want to change the water pump, make sure it's an AISIN. Use an OEM, AISIN, MAHLE or TAMA thermostat.

Mitsuboshi Timing Belt Kit Fit 96-97 Subaru Legacy 2.5L DOHC EJ25D | eBay

1 - 10 of 10 Posts