Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 97 outback automatic, the shift from 1st to 2nd is a little hard, not too bad. However, the shift from 2nd to 3rd is a bit weird. When it shifts, the rpms drop slowly down below the point where 3rd gear should engage before they bump back up as it hits 3rd. The rpms dont freefall or anything, and when the car is cold it can take a few seconds before it will actually get into 3rd. Any ideas? The transmission has been doing this for quite a while now without any other problems, however now it is starting to shudder at low speeds after being warmed up for a while (pulling out of the gas station after a couple of hours in the car).

If there is any other information I can provide let me know. I'm going to get going on the 3 drain and fills of the tranny, but don't have any other ideas other than buying a used one off craigslist and throwing it in.

Thanks guys.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,325 Posts
Miles on vehicle?
Miles on ATF?
Last time ATF was changed?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
170k on vehicle
170k on transmission as far as i know
I have records of the fluid being flushed around 150k, right before I bought the car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh and also, the AT oil light comes on for a second when i start the car. I searched on here and only found stuff about it flashing when turned on, what does is mean if it just stays solid for a second or two?

·
Registered
18,735 Posts
oh and also, the AT oil light comes on for a second when i start the car. I searched on here and only found stuff about it flashing when turned on, what does is mean if it just stays solid for a second or two?
The light should come on when the key is turned to ON, but not to START. It should go out within a second or two after the engine starts running. (The Check Engine light will do the same.)

If the AT Oil Temp light comes on, or stays on, steady with the engine running, it's indicating that the ATF temperature is too high. This is unlikely immediately after a cold start, so there could be a problem with the sensor.

I'm going to get going on the 3 drain and fills of the tranny,
Not a bad idea, as many here have found this to help. Shouldn't be necessary after only 20,000 miles, but who knows what was done before -- perhaps the ATF was never changed for the first 150k miles. (See: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...anging-automatic-transmission-fluid-easy.html)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts