Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I own a 1997 Subaru Outback Legacy wagon.

Recently, the globe blew that illuminates under the automatic gear selection strip (P,R,N,D,3,2,1). I have just removed the center console and retrieved the blown bulb.

I spoke to our local NAPA store who claim I will need to purchase the bulb from a Subaru dealer. Sounds like it might be expensive.

The bulb has "OEW12V1.7W" printed on it. I have attached a pic that I took of the bulb.

Does anyone know if this is a standard bulb that I could purchase from a hardware store or somewhere online?

Thanks for any help!

Dave.

Attachments

·
Registered
978 Posts
Measure the width of the wedge base. If it is just under 5 mm, purchase a T5 LED replacement (the kind that shines in three directions), and you won't have to do it again. The size is also refereed as "74", because 74 is the most common type for a bulb of that size. Other types/numbers have different power ratings. I just did the same on a Tribeca and actually got an OE bulb, just to make sure I had something that fits after going through the trouble of removing the console, but then bought an LED replacement on eBay.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply avk!

Unfortunately, the wedge base measures around 9mm.

I assume the bulb for your Tribeca was a lot smaller?

Thanks again,

Dave.

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
Really? They called this a special bulb ?!?!

What is that NAPA guy smoking?

This si standard bulb that are in billions of cars. Just take the bulb go in the store compare it and buy the replacement.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Thanks for your reply avk!

Unfortunately, the wedge base measures around 9mm.

I assume the bulb for your Tribeca was a lot smaller?

Thanks again,

Dave.
Yes, the Tribeca bulb is 5 mm. But yours must be a T10 (nominally 10 mm) then, for which it is even easier to find an LED replacement. Although you may find that LEDs in that size could be too bright. A 194 bulb is the most common in T10 size, and you can indeed buy one anywhere. Although, looking at the specifications (bulbtown.com), the one closest to 1.7W in power would be type 161. #194 should be fine though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
avk
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing