Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi...new to the forum. I just bought a nice 97 Legacy Outback in great shape except for the oil that is coming from the bottom of the timing belt cover. I am assuming it needs cam/crank seals and would like to know if there are any "How To" links for this project.
Also, maybe advice on good source for the parts. I'll do the belt and water pump at the same time as the seals. Ebay pricing is all over the place so I assume some are pretty low quality. Just looking for good reliable parts with spending a fortune, like everyone else I guess.
Engine is a EJ25D.
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
I own 4 Subarus. A 95,97,02 and a 14. The first two are 2.2 and the last two 2.5.
657 Posts
Hi. Welcome to the forum. Pease google Subaru, Timing Belt, and either Youtube or DIY. You will find 25+ procedures. Some of them will even specifically apply to your EJ25D! All are useful so spend a number of hours watching and reading. Unfortunately, you have the worst engine ever made by subaru, but I'm sure that you didn't pay much for the car, so it doesn't have to last many years for you to get your investment back.

Normally when you spend the time to take off the timing belt, you should change everything touched by the belt including the pulleys. The water pump lasts a long time so you could consider just leaving it alone but that is your choice. I have always used ebay for my timing belts that I have replaced on 90's subarus. Information posted on these forums have convinced me to only use the Aisin ebay kits next time I do a change.

·
Registered
'98 Outback
241 Posts
This is one case where I suggest using the dealer's parts counter. I went in to buy the front main seal, and the guy there threw in the oil pump O-ring "just in case." The front seal was not leaking, it was just the oil pump O-ring. I used my Haynes manual when I did the job years ago, pre-YouTube, and that worked fine. Haynes has enough detail for that job.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,200 Posts
rockauto, amazon, might beat EBay.

look for aftermarket timing belt kits like Aisin, or mistumoto, (japanese made )
or gates with a N in the part # (= japanese made components,...

vs. what maybe chinese junk,...gates without the N is chinese).

or subaru OEM. plenty of good subaru car dealers with a portal right on amazon.

edit: someone here just bought a gates kit with a N in the #, and it still had made in china all over it :frown2:.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,621 Posts
others here have more experience so, take that into consideration.

I have read that the brown-ish OEM cam/crank seals are preferred.

and the little screws on the oil pump back plate seem to be prone to loosening on the 90s cars.

second above suggestions about idlers - the toothed idler often fails first.

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
Definately get Subaru for the Cam, Crank and oil pump Oring. Change ALL of the idlers/gears/tensioner when you change the timing belt. It is likely that the belt has been contaminated with oil and may cause a big problem later. Japanese bearings for the idlers, chinese junk tends to fail early.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I had this issue on a 1998 about 75,000 miles ago. It was the cam seals up front. My mechanic also replaced the timing belt while in there. About 25,000 miles ago i developed a rear seal leak and that also was repaired. The car now has 233,000 miles on with some small oil leaks left. I think Subbies tend to leak some over time. They need to be fixed if they get real bad. Mine started to leave spots on the tar, so that is when I got them fixed. Also, make sure to find a mechanic who knows how to work on Subbies. I had a local one who does nothing but Subarus for many years. I would buy this car again despite the oil leaks as they are very well made.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
OEM parts or Japanese (aisin water pump, mitsubishi belt, japanese pulleys)
Definitely get an OEM water pump gasket, the cardboard aftermarkets are prone to leak
OEM thermostat while you're changing all that coolant anyway.

check rockauto and amazon as well, and online subaru dealers are 20% less than MSRP and may have some halloween/fall discounts coming soon, i haven't bought ebay timing kits in a long time though I used to routinely.

4 cams seals, oil pump oring, sealant, and crank seal
I get OEM seals and gaskets for the 90's stuff because some aftermarkets used to be lower quality black material/seals. Not sure if that's still true but they're so cheap it's not worth the time to sort.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts