Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my 97 outback a few months ago and love the car.

It developed an exaust leak and the local shop that changes my oil told me the flange that meets the resonator pipe is cracked and the muffler with pipe needs to be replaced. He quoted me $270 in parts alone for it. I was wondering if anyone knew where to get a muffler set up for cheaper that bolts right in without modification like those "universal" set ups. Also if anyone knew where to get a performance set up that would be comprible in price. Which ever I'd go with i would just put it in myself.

Thanks, I look forward to using this site with my new car!!:29:

·
Registered
02 Outback 2.5 5sp
543 Posts
You could try a junkyard. I bought an aftermarket muff for my car and it was still $100.

Really, though, those flanges could be rplaced with junctions and welded. Maybe for under $60 total.

James

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm fine spending the money on it, was just wondering if there were any performance mufflers comprable in price really besides the universal set ups. The only cheaper ones i can seem to find that are bolt in are the 100 dollar ones on ebay, which i might end up going that route

·
Registered
2010 OBW limited 2.5 CVT
1,602 Posts
Performance muffler will just empty your wallet with no gain. Cut out the flanges and replace with a flex joint. That joint must flex or the system will break at another joint and cause the need for further repairs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've never heard of a flex joint that could be cut into an exaust system. Is it something that you cut the pipes and use U-bolts to install or would it have to be welded in? This sounds like a viable route since the actual muffler does not look that old and just the flange is cracked. I'll check out my local autozone tomorrow and see if i can find it, thanks

·
Registered
2010 OBW limited 2.5 CVT
1,602 Posts
Your welcome. The joint that failed is designed to flex from the factory. After a few years of rust build up in the joint, it seizes then the flange breaks. A comon mistake is to just patch in a piece of pipe. That stresses the rest of the system until you get another break.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts