Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellow Subaru owners,
I recently purchased a 97 Subaru Legacy Outack with the EJ25 and 5MT. It so far has been a great car, I got receipts of the engine being fully resealed along with some other work that was done a few months before I bought it including the block being bored 5 over and being decked. I have no CELs but lately it's been seeming to run somewhat funny. Will sometime stutter when you let off or on the gas, sounds a little funny especially when cold, almost like a faint chug or thud, and I did find three wires that came from the dash that are cut. Anybody have some possible ideas or reccomendations on where to start on this or what could be at fault?
Thanks much, I plan to learn a lot from this site!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,951 Posts
in the receipts ,

new PCV valve? (those get wore out with age, and not just gummed up)

new timing belt kit? (vs. just a belt without the idlers/pulleys/ tensioner)

_______

the three wires remind me of something leftover from a alarm system keypad,...(I guess only in the US's PNW, or Colorado would anyone even think of sticking an alarm on a 97 outback....which any old 1995-99 worn out subaru key could probably open and drive down the street).

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,406 Posts
are you someplace where there could be a little dew/condensation/moisture in the mornings? Could be some arcing or other ignition voltage deficiency that is better after the engine's warmth dries the water.

any chance the receipts show new plug wires? are they OEM?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The PCV valve hasn't been replaced, I'll make sure to check the vaccuum on it in the morning and porbably get a new one. I believe the tensioner was also replaced but I'd have to look over the receipts again. It does get a little moist in the morning, I'm on the West Coast so there's usually some steam when I backout before work in the morning. Going to check electricals with a multimeter as well. Thanks for the replies!

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,406 Posts
bad plug wires can cause missing when moist. One test, maybe more dramatic after dark, would be to wait for when the engine is warm and idling smoothly, then, while idling with the hood up, use a plant mister to spray water locally to each plug wire area and watch for the engine to begin missing. If dark, you may see arcing. Spray the coilpack too.

if that test doesn't find a problem, inspect the plug wire boots for oil. I expect the car got new valve cover gaskets and the boots should be oil-free but....?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,951 Posts
things to buy right off the bat for a used subaru, if you got no recent receipt/ notation, or they are aftermarket on it
(and I have done for other makes too).

OEM rad cap, OEM thermostat, OEM PCV,

buying such things over the counter can be expensive. vs. subaru dealers on amazon .

_____

If you are buying:
NGK wires / plugs. (subarus like NGK product,...and not others).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Went over my receipts and it did get new oem wires as well as the timing idlers and tensioners. All the seals/gaskets including valve seals were replaced and it has a new thick core aluminum CSF radiator. I guess the PCV is my main concern, would my car show overheating symtoms if the thermostat was faulty?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,951 Posts
the only thermostat to put in these is a OEM or a stant exact stat.

the rest don't or may not open / close / flow enough. so time will tell if you got a turd stat in there. I would not want this engine to overheat ever.

a working EJ25D is a hard thing to source used. (as if it is being sold,...may have been overheated badly, and /or have a weakened main bearing).

and a well beaten JDM would need both head gaskets and a main bearing.

all that $$$ kind of a hard thing to hock up for cars of this type.

_____

CSF makes good radiators though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts