Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Outback 2.5 auto 147K, 06 Outback 2.5 auto 49K
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me the difference between the ones for ABS and for non-ABS? It's an $80 price difference and I was wondering if the only difference is a hole or two.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Next question, does anyone know if the 2000-04 backing plates are the same as 96-99?

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
are you sure you have the right part number?

i can not imagine there is a difference in the backing plates.

there is a difference in the ''knuckle'' housing. and for those, you can use the ABS type on the non-ABS cars, but not vice versa.

so, depending on your need , does this answer your question?

what are you trying to do?

what is wrong with your car?
what year, model, engine, trans, miles is your car?

did you look on Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hva e a 97 Outback with ABS. The rear backing plates have rusted and are deformed causing rubbing of the ABS sensors.

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
you can probably get used knuckle / hub assemblies shipped to your door for $35 - $45 each. bolt on your brakes and ABS sensor and you are good to go. if you want it to be ''like new'' have the wheel bearing replaced before you install it.

car-part.com is your friend. put in your zip and sort by distance to see what is close. then sort by price and go to the cheap ones from the south, no rust, and call about shipping.

there is no reason to buy new.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ordered the backing plates and am getting both ABS sensors. Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
If I can I cut off the rusted portions out of the way of anything important.

If the rust is that bad, as it is around here, the ABS bolt is going to shear off and the bolts for the backing plate might not be any fun either.

This is a simple job that easily turns into a nightmare due to rust.

The ABS sensor bolt is hardly structural, so I just drill a small hole in the sheared off remainder of the bolt and tap it for a tiny bolt. We all know it's going to corrode and rust into place anyway, so just get it on there and it's all good.

·
Registered
2009 Tribeca Now - 2004 Outback EJ259 - Sold
1,071 Posts
The emergency brake cable retaining clip is always a fun time as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts