Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey!
I’ve got a 97 outback automatic trans, I’ve recently run into Issues
The car Has an Extremely rough idle,
Stalls when Driving once You take your foot off the gas and hit the brakes,
Has no power When accelerating, Revs will go up and up but the car still just crawls,
No Mil Besides the 2nd o2 sensor which hasn’t been in The car since owned
Trans recently replaced,
Just redid the timing, ran flawless for a few days then stated to get a bit of a rough idle, a few days later car wouldn’t start, Replaced MAP sensor car starts and drives with these issues, cannot figure it out
Also it knocks If you Pull the accelerator cable at random, Not sure if caused by misfire or Worse
It does have Bosch Platinum plugs in it

·
Registered
54 Posts
Did you seat the torque converter on the transmission before you attached the engine?
Asking because these torque converters are notoriously difficult to do if attached to the engine first. Also because you said you just replaced the transmission.

Also have you double checked the timing?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you seat the torque converter on the transmission before you attached the engine?
Asking because these torque converters are notoriously difficult to do if attached to the engine first. Also because you said you just replaced the transmission.

Also have you double checked the timing?

I had a shop do it about a month ago so I believe they did it right, when I did the timing I made sure all the marks lined up, it ran perfect for a Few days before the map went, But I haven’t Checked the timing sense

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,858 Posts
idle air control valve, (see other posts on that)

front o2 sensor needs to be changed to a new Denso. (which matches subaru OEM specs),

subarus should have NGK plugs and wires, (leave bosch for the german makes)

but I am also wondering if you have a grounding issue, and when the engine shifts in the bay it wiggles to open or shorts out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
idle air control valve, (see other posts on that)

front o2 sensor needs to be changed to a new Denso. (which matches subaru OEM specs),

subarus should have NGK plugs and wires, (leave bosch for the german makes)

but I am also wondering if you have a grounding issue, and when the engine shifts in the bay it wiggles to open or shorts out.
I’ll try to pick up some NGK Plugs Tomorrow, and Even if the Front o2 sensor is reading correctly? And would the idle air cause the car To Have no power? I was wondering if the MAF had anything to do with this, Also I i haven’t seen any loose grounds but I’ll check that tomorrow’s as well

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,858 Posts
I’ll try to pick up some NGK Plugs Tomorrow, and Even if the Front o2 sensor is reading correctly? And would the idle air cause the car To Have no power? I was wondering if the MAF had anything to do with this, Also I i haven’t seen any loose grounds but I’ll check that tomorrow’s as well
I would think the culprit is not the plugs, but bosch would give less than ideal running conditions. but a front o2 sensor (or its wire) is enough to cause big nasty misses and sputtering pauses.

Idle air control also causes major / dangerous spastic behavior.
(look up if yours has a gasket there, if you pull the thing apart you will want to have a new gasket in hand, as the old one may make it impossible to get back together = they deform / change overtime)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would think the culprit is not the plugs, but bosch would give less than ideal running conditions. but a front o2 sensor (or its wire) is enough to cause big nasty misses and sputtering pauses.
What about it still being able to rev high but have no power?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am still going to point to a trans issue on that, part of why I started my post there.
1. Check Transmission fluid.
2. Pull the plate under the torque converter and with the car in neutral try to turn the flex plate. (If it binds or the torque converter is not moving in unison with the flex plate something is wrong.)
3. Try pushing the car in neutral. (Just to see if it feels funny.)
4. Put it in FWD with the fuse and see if anything changes.

What state are you in?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am still going to point to a trans issue on that, part of why I started my post there.
1. Check Transmission fluid.
2. Pull the plate under the torque converter and with the car in neutral try to turn the flex plate. (If it binds or the torque converter is not moving in unison with the flex plate something is wrong.)
3. Try pushing the car in neutral. (Just to see if it feels funny.)
4. Put it in FWD with the fuse and see if anything changes.

What state are you in?

I know it dosnt feel Bad in neutral while pushing, And if the torque converter was the issue, wouldn’t it have Started when I got the car back from the shop?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Possibly, I am throwing out the things I would look at if it were my car, knowing what work had been done. If the car is revving and the wheels are lagging then there is an issue somewhere between the flex plate and the wheels. So, you eliminate potential problems one by one.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,858 Posts
What about it still being able to rev high but have no power?
when I had front o2 sensor problems the thing would shutter and buck down to idle speed on the tachometer. but not stall.

I am starting to think a trans problem though for you.

·
Registered
Subaru Outback Legacy 1997 AT
13 Posts
when I had front o2 sensor problems the thing would shutter and buck down to idle speed on the tachometer. but not stall.

I am starting to think a trans problem though for you.
I was noticing similar behaviour on mine recently, mostly 10-20m after a cold start. After the car has been running a while never happens. We recently replaced the transmission fluid and I'm wondering if that will fix it. It seems to get a loss of power shifting out of 1st gear and the rpm's tachometer stutters for a few seconds (maybe 10). Then it goes away. Just swapped the spark plug wires the other day as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts