Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I've been staring at charts and forum posts all night and "think" I have this figured out but wanted to get a second opinion. I have to replace the tranny/front diff in my 2000 Outback. I lucked out and found a transmission from a '98 Forrester on craigslist at a cheap price. Which with my limited funds, is really my only option other than being without a car for a month while saving up money. The code on the tranny I'm buying is ty753vj1aa. From the info I can gather, it has a slighlt different ratio for 1st, 2nd, and 5th, but has the same 4.11 final drive ratio. So this should work out fine right? Anything I'm not seeing here? The used tranny is priced right and I need to get the car fixed asap. Can't afford a rebuilt one or even some of the used ones from the local shops. So if it will fit, it will save me some grief and help get the family car back on the road.
Any input is really appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
correct, final drive ratio will be the same and the only gear ratio that matters. i can't think of any other differences.

cheap and on craisglist - make sure it's a good transmission.

have you checked car-part.com ? they have 98 forester transmissions down to $195...that was the first one i checked, if you put more time searching you might do better or find one close enough - you don't say what state you live it so i couldn't search specifically.

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT Limited 5MT
104 Posts
The transmission from the 98 forester will be a phase 1 unit that uses 2 bolts at the top and 2 studs at bottom vs the phase 2 unit with 8 total bolts/nut in the 00 outback. You will have a few extra left over bolts. Also the 98 transmission will have a 2 wire speed sensor where your 00 will have a 3 wire speed sensor. The 2 wire sensor is metal and will come out easy but the 3 wire is plastic and will almost certainly break into pieces trying to remove it. So you may need to order a new speed sensor off rockauto or some place like that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies!!!

Gary, I live in Denver. I checked your link for an outback tranny in Colorado and the cheapest that came up was $750, which is the same as most of the local shop I called.

I ended up buying the one form the Forster for $400. Pretty cheap and it was available now, so I can get it back up and running quickly. Yeah, I am normally weary of craigslist but got a good feeling on this one. And it "appears" to be in great shape haha. We'll see. I may have just bought a nice paperweight.

Josh, thanks for the info on the differences. Looking at it I thought the new one had a 3 wire speed sensor with plastic end, but I might be wrong. I will check it in the morning and order a replacement if it's the 2 wire.

Thanks for all your input guys! I'm crossing my fingers that the used one serves the purpose. The guy I bought it from took it from a totaled Forseter that he said looked like it had been rolled. He was going to drop it in his car, but it got totaled from hail damage so he let the insurance company take it away before he dropped in the tranny. He seemed pretty legit, but we'll see.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts