Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
98 Impreza Outback with 208k. Have replaced front calipers & pads, rotors seem ok. At low speed when braking I get a twang sound & sensation thru the brake pedal that it grabs then release & grab. If I remove the 20amp fuse for the ABS, the brakes act normal. All wheel sensors have the same ohm level. Any ideas on what this is or how to diagnose?

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,114 Posts
any warning lights, abs light on?

any recent work done before this symptom appeared?

earlier models had a problem with the abs pump buzzing with the car off. don't recall what caused it, maybe a relay.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no other work than the calipers and pads but this happened before that replacement. Also no warning lights except when the abs fuse is removed, then abs. Do I need to spin the wheels while cking ohms continuity?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
which wheels are speed sensor 1 & 2 or speed sensor A (passenger front & drivers rear ?)
I have gotten additional codes from diagnostic po500 1540 1121 #e1 any help would be appreciated

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,114 Posts
seems like either transmission or TCU problems. (no one has connected the 2 green connectors under the dash have they?)

does the speedometer work?

I have had a bad cell in a battery cause weird codes to set. Can you test the batt or borrow another one?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The battery is old (6 + years) speedometer works,I don't believe anyone has connected the green connectors. I got these codes by using the abs diagnostic connector and using ground (B81) in 6th port. then connecting my obd reader. I am still trying to diagnose the original brake problem, though I see it could be related to many other things.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,483 Posts
Were the brakes grinding prior to replacement? Are you where it is snowing/icey and was it prior to the brake repair?

Check the ground strap on the ABS unit itself. Make sure the plugs are tight and locked. Spray down the ABS reluctor rings with the high pressure hose at a car wash or with a garden hose. Change your battery.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts