Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Subaru Impreza Outback
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've got a 1998 subaru impreza outback (I hope this is the right forum, my apologies if not). Anyway, I seem to have a pretty bad gas leak right underneath the foot pedals on the driver's side. Curious what it might be and how I should go about finding the leak and replacing whatever is causing the issue. thanks guys!

Attachments

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,163 Posts
updated thread title a little. I see this is a US model based on your IP.

is that gasoline.?

oil?

rad fluid?

windshield washer fluid?

(this is typically a big legacy outback forum,..
.but plenty of subaru lovers come here to ask and type about impreza, foresters, tribeca and low rider legacys).

RS25.com seems to have knowledgeable impreza owners ,...Naisoc is really big, but the wild wild west of posting. (with good and bad)

·
Registered
1998 Subaru Impreza Outback
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's gas, and what I'm assuming is disintegrated insulation from being in contact with the gas. And thank you, I'll dig through RS25 and see what I can find as well.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,163 Posts
That's gas, and what I'm assuming is disintegrated insulation from being in contact with the gas. And thank you, I'll dig through RS25 and see what I can find as well.

@idosubaru = old timey subaru seer of seers.

do you know if the gas line runs along the driver side foot well of a US spec 1998 impreza?

I guess a gas line under pressure could squirt and deposit some up through the body. (via a rust hole, or crevices at the weld points).

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
They always leak in the back, not the front so i'm unfamiliar with the front routing.

But if it's getting the carpet wet then it seems rather obvious to pull the carpet up.

Pop the engine hood and look at the fuel filter on the drivers side. Follow the line as far as you can and make sure it's not leaking there and dripping/blowing backwards somehow.

Then pull the drivers side carpet back - start up under the dash by the pedals and pull it back.
The door trim just pops out to release the carpet.
Maybe you'll get it back far enough to inspect without any surgery...if not then you'll have to pull the front drivers seat.

The front drivers seat is only held in by 4-5 bolts - remove them.
Continue peeling the carpet back and look under there with a (non-sparking) flashlight.

So you're only talking 4-5 bolts and popping some trim pieces to pull the carpet back, not too bad.

If the carpet is shot and in terrible shape you might even just consider cutting out a huge square right where it's saturated with gas to avoid the work and plan on replacing some carpet or using larger floor mats after the repair.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.