Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've recently acquired a 1998 Outback Limited with 242,000 miles on it, that has had 3 previous owners. Naturally I did not get key fobs with it. It has the dealer installed keyless system (H7110AS011) and the optional sensor and starter interrupt and the led button deal on the dash. I've taken it apart, and the two fuses are good, wiring is intact, and connections appear to be fine. It even locks the doors when the key is turned on and unlocks them when the key is turned out of the on position. Simply put, the system seems to work entirely.

So when I go to program a new key fob (GOH-M24) I go through the process listed on cars101 and it chirps the siren three times and locks the doors (they don't unlock but it clicks three times), lights flash, the whole deal. I press the lock button on the remote while holding the programming button and absolutely nothing happens. I have tried two Remocon aftermarket remotes and a used Subaru remote, all with FCC ID of GOH-M24.

Full disclosure, I know I've got a busted door switch on the rear passenger door (it doesn't turn on the light when opened, but it never shows as open on the dash).

Has anyone ever encountered this issue? Does anyone have any idea as to what could be wrong and is it fixable, or is it too much to hope for that the original keyless system on a 20 year old, quarter of a million mile car would still work?

I would appreciate any help in getting this system to work. Thanks in advance

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,192 Posts
So I've recently acquired a 1998 Outback Limited with 242,000 miles on it, that has had 3 previous owners. Naturally I did not get key fobs with it. It has the dealer installed keyless system (H7110AS011) and the optional sensor and starter interrupt and the led button deal on the dash. I've taken it apart, and the two fuses are good, wiring is intact, and connections appear to be fine. It even locks the doors when the key is turned on and unlocks them when the key is turned out of the on position. Simply put, the system seems to work entirely.

So when I go to program a new key fob (GOH-M24) I go through the process listed on cars101 and it chirps the siren three times and locks the doors (they don't unlock but it clicks three times), lights flash, the whole deal. I press the lock button on the remote while holding the programming button and absolutely nothing happens. I have tried two Remocon aftermarket remotes and a used Subaru remote, all with FCC ID of GOH-M24.

Full disclosure, I know I've got a busted door switch on the rear passenger door (it doesn't turn on the light when opened, but it never shows as open on the dash).

Has anyone ever encountered this issue? Does anyone have any idea as to what could be wrong and is it fixable, or is it too much to hope for that the original keyless system on a 20 year old, quarter of a million mile car would still work?

I would appreciate any help in getting this system to work. Thanks in advance
updated thread title and moved.

glad its not stopping you from starting the car. ...21 years old,....if you live where people steal old subarus with old wore out keys, I would toss all that stuff for a brand new alarm system.

but it seems like that one wonky sensor in the bunch of doors maybe fouling you up.

·
Registered
06 Outback 2.5i
405 Posts
Perhaps it's not receiving any signals from the key fobs?

Most auto stores have a tester to rule out the fobs, but it sounds like you sourced known good ones.

One tip, if you did it get working - make sure you program 4 key fobs (even if you program the same one 3 times). If you don't, the car alarm will go off randomly throughout the day.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
updated thread title and moved.

glad its not stopping you from starting the car. ...21 years old,....if you live where people steal old subarus with old wore out keys, I would toss all that stuff for a brand new alarm system.

but it seems like that one wonky sensor in the bunch of doors maybe fouling you up.
Thanks, wasn't quite sure where was the best place for it.

Yeah at least everything works as normal (I assume anyways, this is my first Subaru).

It seems to enter programming mode, but being that it does have the full alarm package, I've read that it grounds through the dome light circuit, which uses the door switches. So it's quite possible it is as simple as that. I can grab one from the local Subaru dealership for like $3 so I might as well try it anyways.

I also don't have the original key, it's an Axxess key. The dealer said they can cut a new one with my vin# so I'll probably do that too.

Perhaps it's not receiving any signals from the key fobs?

Most auto stores have a tester to rule out the fobs, but it sounds like you sourced known good ones.

One tip, if you did it get working - make sure you program 4 key fobs (even if you program the same one 3 times). If you don't, the car alarm will go off randomly throughout the day.
Thanks for the tip! Yeah I'll have to find some way to test them. The aftermarket have an led on them that flashes when a button is pressed, but no way of knowing if it's on the right frequency. The Subaru one is the right frequency, but I'll have to test if it puts out a signal. It should be good as it comes from Midwestkeyless.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts