Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Legacy Outback
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I keep throwing codes for misfire on #2 cylinder and knock sensor. I have replaced the plugs with NGK and purchased a coil pack. These parts helped the issue but it still has a miss, at idle its really bad. I will try new wires next but I have moved the wire around on #2 and can't see where it could be bad.

What's my next step in fixing the misfire?

Thanks

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,487 Posts
knock sensors are cheap and easy to replace on subarus.
...getting a knock sensor code = change knock sensor/ or inspect it and its wiring.

what did you use for a coil pack? did you save the original.? (subaru ones say "subaru" on them) aftermarkets can be JUNK, or more expensive then the OEM.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,835 Posts
waste spark ignition means the coilpack will typically affect 2 cylinders - so I'd reserve that idea untillater.

on a 98, could easily be original wires or maybe a valve...even electrical grounds will do odd things like this.

·
Registered
18,425 Posts
I have moved the wire around on #2 and can't see where it could be bad.
Did you move the #2 wire to another cylinder? For example, move the #2 wire to cylinder #3 and put the #3 wire at cylinder #2. If #2 wire is faulty, the misfires would then show up at cylinder 3, i.e., P0303. If the wire isn't the problem, the fault would remain at cylinder 2. It's a simple (and cost-free) test.

·
Registered
1998 Legacy Outback
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After more work and parts replacement I am starting to believe I have an injector issue. I purchased new wires and the miss stayed on #2 cylinder. I changed the plug out again. The miss still stayed on #2.
I have replaced coil pack, wires and plugs and the miss is the same. It idles really rough but once the RPM get about 2,000 it smoothes out some. It has the occasional spit/sputter but is much better at higher RPM. The oil is getting a gas odor to it also. I am thinking the injector is either not sealing off or not spraying correctly.
When I change the plug out with a new one the car idles and runs better for about 10 min or 5-6 miles and then the miss and the rough idle. The codes of misfire on #2 and knock sensor come back also.

i have checked the injector wiring plug for corrosion but it looks good. Guess next paycheck I'll buy an injector from Rock Auto.

I have went over all the engine grounds too, put new connectors on some and re-crimped others.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,835 Posts
compression/leakdown test in that cyl might be a good next step - also, drop the manifold and look for dropped/shifted valve guide?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts