Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Legacy EJ22 5MT, 98 Legacy EJ22 5MT, 99 Legacy Outback EJ25 4EAT "Agent 99", 01 Forester EJ25 4EAT
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked this car up and have to take care of a few loose ends (this one before winter - for my wife). As a Brighton (to my understanding), it's lowest-trim-level and didn't come with heated seats. However, PO says that he replaced the seats with a boneyard pair with heaters (that have never been hooked up).

So my questions are: Were heaters offered in '98, and if so, am I going to find connectors on the existing harness for them? And will I be able to replace the interior trim (the plastic around the hand brake) with equivalent bits featuring the necessary switches?

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
The trim should fit. I don't know if the wiring is in place to connect the heaters.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,194 Posts
cars101 has the listings as to what had them in 1995-99.

what I would look for at pick and pulls / craigslist part outs:

LGTs and Outback limiteds with leather. and nabbing the whole center console switches and wires.

in the mean time, you can pull the bolts on the center console of what you got and look for wires that run to switches that are not there.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
The heated seat wiring likely doesn't exist in that 98, but pull the carpet or seat and confirm. Yes it was an option on Outbacks.

I'd test the seats first, they routinely suck or don't work well/at all, then you'll know you need to source seats and wiring/switches.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,194 Posts
another alternative would be to get some heating pads to go on the seat that run on barrel plugs.

jc Whitney type stuff. easily found on amazon etc.

and you can take them from car to car. $25- $50 each.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts