Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has horrible gas mileage, doesn't have much power when accelerating, and has a ticking noise that seemed to get worse over the last couple weeks I've had it. Check engine light coded for the knock sensor. So I replaced the knock sensor with the help of YouTube because I'm 100% not a mechanic at all. My check engine light is still on. I'm going out to disconnect negative battery cables in a bit to see if that will reset the check engine light. It's faint but I feel like I'm still hearing the ticking noise. Is there another issue I could be having? Could I have bought a bad sensor or maybe didn't replace it right? Seemed to be a pretty simple change except the fact the area was so tiny. Any advice or suggestions would help alot!!

·
Registered
'98 Outback
219 Posts
The car needs to go through a complex "drive cycle" without seeing the problem before it resets itself. Or you can force a reset. I'm not sure if a battery disconnect will do that on this car.

Changing the knock sensor does not solve the mechanical problem that you're hearing. The knock sensor code only tells you there's something wrong with the knock sensor or its circuit.

If you can hear a ticking noise at idle, the knock sensor doesn't care about that anyway. You might be hearing some valve noise. An experienced mechanic's ear and guidance may be needed.

Have you tried a fuel system cleaner lately? Cleaned the MAF sensor? How many miles on the odometer? Auto or manual? 2.5 L engine? What is the gas mileage?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since I last wrote, the check engine light has went off. I suppose I just didn't drive it long enough. The ticking noise is still there. Making me crazy. My step dad suggested it could need a valve adjustment?. I have also read online that some people have put in blue mystery? With their oil changes? I am almost due for an oil change so I was thinking of trying that. I'm guessing the car probably needs a tune up as well. So I'll be working toward that. As for gas mileage I was having to fill up the tank every 2 days. But I filled up this morning and I reset the meter so I can see what I get on a full tank. I haven't tried a fuel system cleaner but will do on my next fill up. I'm not sure what the MAF sensor is. Odometer reads 184397. It's automatic. And I also drive at least 100 miles a days back and forth.

·
Registered
4, Gen 2 H6's: 2001 LLBean, 2002 LLBean, 2002 VDC, 2003 Plain...I love the H6's!
204 Posts
I am not a believer in oil additives.

A tune-up is only truly necessary if the spark plugs have >80K miles on them. A typical symptom of an engine needing a tune-up is it is starting hard or running rough.

The MAF is housed inside the black plastic box that sits between the air intake near the front fender and the air intake on top of the engine.

The ticking sound in the engine is likely not related to anything I mentioned above.

Let us know if you would like more input.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts