Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I've got a '98 Outback that is having a starting issue.
Today it started and ran fine all the way into town. But after sitting for 15 minutes I came back to start it and it turned over and fired acting like it was going to start but didn't. And now it just turns over.

Any ideas on trouble shooting?
It's a 5spd and I can't remember what size engine it has I've only had it for a little while, but it has 207K on it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I can't hear the fuel pump running. Is their some sort of fuse or something that runs the fuel pump or do you think it just quit?

What are you talking about checking? If there is pressure?

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,289 Posts
The fuel filter is on the driver fender in front of the brake master cylinder. All you have to do is remove the hose on the engine side of the filter and turn the key on and check for fuel flow. You may have to have someone turn the key to start. Be sure to catch the fuel in something so it doesn't run down the fender onto the ground.

The other way would be to remove the fuel pump relay located in the relay box on the fender by the battery and jump pins 2 & 4. The relay will be marked. Just match up the corresponding pins in the box and jump them. You should hear the pump run if you have battery power on pin 2. If you don't have power on 2, check the large mega fuses for "SBF-2" being blown. If you have power and the pump doesn't operate, new pump needed.

If its the pump, it's on the passenger side under the panel beneath the rear seat.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there supposed to be powering going to the fuel pump all the time? I put a test light on the connector with the key one and there was a small amount of power coming to it. I thought that they usually only give it a little power just to run the fuel pump to build up pressure and then shuts it off until the engine starts?

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
So... Did it pump fuel or not? You can spend alot of time learning about electronics but it will do you no good if the pump is bad.

Your question is more than a yes or no answer.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
Cool.

You will need more than a test light to check the next step. If there is even partial power though it's very possible the pump is bad. Make sure the ground, fuses and relays all are good. You need an ohm meter to do that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts