Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have a 98 OB that i just replaced the head gasket in due to over heating the car once and it shut down itself but started right back up. When i did the head gasket i went with oem Subaru head gaskets, cam seals, oil pump seal, oem Subaru water pump with the paddle wheel style impeller, i also replaced both coolant temp sensors.
Before i did the head gasket the temp on the gauge would run at just under halfway. Now after the head gasket at idle it will sit just under halfway, once i start driving it will rise up to halfway to three quarters while driving at 70 MPH on a negative 20 degree day with windchill (Minnesota temps). So i find it odd and think it should be running cooler than that. I plugged in a code reader that does live data, i went to the engine coolant temp and watched it. It rides stedy at about 204 degrees. Is 204 to hot for these cars or is it cool enough? I found out that after market t-stat suck compared to the oem Subaru one witch makes it run cooler witch im able to get the low 204 temp. An aftermarket t-stat was making my car run steady at 219. So if the 204 temp isn't cool enough. My next question is what style water pump impeller is better the water wheel or yhr fan blade style? Look at pic. I have an oem pump that has the water wheel style. And if the water wheel style is best then what else could it be? Maybe because i over heated it once? The engine seems to have lots of power yet so that's why I'm kinda doubling that but i maybe wrong. The radiator seemed to have the fins clear of junk when i had it out. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,257 Posts
did you replace the thermostat? OEM?

how's the level in the radiator? and, is the level in the overflow going up a little when hot, then back down when cool?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes i replaced the thermostat with one from Subaru. Yes the radiator is full of coolant and the over flow does go up and down when hot and cold.

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
974 Posts
I would suggest the difference in temp readings are related to the change in temp sensors.

I would check the wiring to the sensors and if not Subaru sensors consider replacing them with OEM.

Seagrass

1 - 5 of 5 Posts