Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
98- Impreza Outback Sport
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, i'm still waiting for my D*mn Bank to clear my loan for my 98 OBS, but in the mean time i'm looking for what to spend the rest of my loan money on. See...when my loan comes in i'll have a couple hundred bux to spend on my car. so my questions are~
1. What should i check on/ replace with a 98' with 120k miles?
2. What should i add first? (Grounding kit, strut bars, intake, exaust?)
3. what size speakers does the car have stock?
4. I need a HUGE wing...right?...J/k
5. how big of rims can i put on, i'm thinking 17s. what tires are good for TX? (i'm from MI, but go to school in TX)
6. Again, money is somewhat tight. But you know, if my GF pisses me off, i can always splurge, so give all advice.
7. Can i open the scoop/vents? i've heard to leave the DS vent on, is this correct?

There you go Steve, does this make you feel wanted? Thanks all~Matt

·
OBS Obsessed, ,
250 Posts
What do you want out of the car? Do you want to improve the handling, power, look? I always like to improve the handling a bit so I would get a bigger rear sway bar and solid drop links. There are lots of options in 17" rims and tires. Check tirerack.com or subydude.com. Both have tire/wheel packages.

The first thing I would do is replace the air and fuel filter. Probably the plugs too and probably replace the brake fluid and flush the radiator. It also might be a good idea to replace the transmission fluid and diff fluid too. All of this assumes that none of these things have been done lately.

Do you know what has been done to the car up to this point maintainence wise? Has the timing belt been changed. If not, it needs to be asap. It also might be a good idea to get the crank and oil seals checked and redone. Subarus are know for those going at high mileage.

Good luck, congrats and enjoy the new car.

·
Registered
98- Impreza Outback Sport
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm looking to get the car to handle a little better, and get more power than just the average OBS. It is way to dang quiet for my liking, yet i don't want to sound like that welfare funded probe w/ glasspacks like this guy that drives around my town. I would love this car to be a sort of sleeper, looks slow, yet is surprising.

I am also thinking of racing SCCA races, so to make it competetive.

Again, thanks for all the help.~ Matt

1 - 3 of 3 Posts