Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I have a '98 Outback in decent shape mechanically. I want to buy a 1979 camper trailer. It's a 14 foot single axle and about as small as a pull behind gets. That said, it was made in the 70s. Before I buy it, can I pull this sucker with my Outback for a few months? Mostly on weekends. Will be parked during the week. Just want to know in general. I don't have a lot of specs on the camper. The owner says it will pull fine behind any car which may be true but idk. Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
06 3.0R JDM facelift SI Drive-shift paddles. 87 Brumby EA81 (Brat) 4MT D/R
609 Posts
Safe towing weights - rule of thumb
- unbraked trailer/van - up to half the towing vehicle weight.
- braked trailer/van - up to the weight equal to that of towing vehicle.

Subaru recommend 1100 lbs max unbraked
3100 lbs max braked for that age of Outback

Also the tongue weight (weight of the trailer hitch on tow ball/bar of car should be about 50 - 60 lbs for a light trailer.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,951 Posts
is this a typical light popup or a actual travel trailer.?

plenty of brochures for trailers like that lied about how much the curb weight actually was. so the published # on the internet or written on the registration maybe incorrect,

plus what is inside, when you intend to tow.

moved to the "towing section" lots and lots of threads here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@eagleeye no it's not a popup. It's just a pull behind camper, single axle. I plan on towing just minimal living items and on weekends, about 200 lbs of music gear.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,359 Posts
Since you have not said what the camper actually weighs....no answer is possible.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,951 Posts
@eagleeye no it's not a popup. It's just a pull behind camper, single axle. I plan on towing just minimal living items and on weekends, about 200 lbs of music gear.
got a pic?

and remember all subarus have just a 200 lb tongue weight,...so load things in the ass end behind the axle to keep that down.

on the left of this diagram is the tongue weight A, vs. total weight B

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@AWDFTW idk how much it weighs. I can't even find specs online and it doesn't say on the title either. It's just a '79 pull behind camper trailer 14 footer. @eagleeye thank you for the info

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,359 Posts
Don't do it then.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,951 Posts
I asked about pop -ups as those can be really light for old subarus,...like 1000lbs.

based on your Utah IP,...you are dealing with very tough towing conditions for any subaru, and particularly one such as yours,
(20 year old H4, high altitude, big long grades, ...high temps possible.)

what cars pulled this thing before?,...If its almost Free, and the owner tows it over to you on a HOT day with a 160hp/ 160torque car ....maybe.

and the possible worst thing that can happen,...you blow the radiator, or loose the brakes, and sell the trailer to someone else.

______

worse than that: this pic has been posted here before
going up hill a heavy trailer boils the coolant and transmission fluid, going down it cooks the brakes.

the driver in this pickup, is still in it, and is probably happy they crossed the safety chains, ...as those are the only things holding the truck on the mountain....and the overly heavy boat is acting like a nice anchor. (I am thinking that is something like a 1990-99 Chevy 1500 or 2500 2wd there, without enough brakes on the truck or trailer to stop the boat from shoving it down the mountain,...I am thinking the pic is from a cop helicopter,...earliest use of that pic I see on the internet is a Feb 1, 2001 ???)

Reactions: dianer
1 - 9 of 9 Posts