Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Civic EX Coupe, previously had a '98 Outback with 245k before we retired it...
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I own a 1998 Outback and I am looking to put an intake on it to see if i can get better gas mileage at all and to give it a more sporty sound. Does anyone know where i can get an intake that has the plug for the mass air flow sensor in it? Or is there a way to make an intake for the car? thanks

·
Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
1,572 Posts
my inclination would be to get a good photo of your engine bay so you can see how it needs to be routed and then shop the cheapass kits for WRX on ebay (some in the $20-25 range). many of them appear to have the opening for the sensor. you can get viton-esque rubber connectors/adaptors in the drain plumbing dept at Home Depot and mandrel bent elbows in stainless or mild steel from Scuderia JCWhitneyogni if needed to cut and splice for fit.

CAVEAT: i would NOT trust my engine internals to the hecho-en-China pseudoK&N crap pseudofilters they come with. get a real K&N (or similar quality) filter. K&N cones are avail on ebay for $40-45. even adding that, you're still WAY below the cost of a K&N-engineered cold air intake setup.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Do some more reading on this subject. I have extrapolated that the best setup for less cost and a more smooth torque band is the original air box & K&N filter coupled to a larger fancier style "racing-knock-off" pipe to the throttle body.

Also, take out the extra intake piping and put in a more direct pipe in the right front passenger well.

This is all of course for a naturally aspirated engine (stock 1998 wagon)

I hope that help :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts