Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
98 Subaru Manual Transmission. I had a 2.2 liter dropped in it. So I've seen this happen for the third time, happened today and it's always happened when approaching a steep hill, I need to down shift to fourth and power up this incline when not immediately but eventually the check engine light starts to flash. Ease off pedal to slow down and in 30 seconds to a minute it goes away. This is the only situation it happens in and third time I've seen it now. Not being driven at the moment having the transmission checked out, I know at least one bearing will be replaced since you can hear it. any insight would help, thanks.

·
Registered
18,429 Posts
See if you can get an OBD reader on it. If there was a CEL, there's probably a stored code (or more than one). Flashing CEL usually means a fault that is serious enough to damage the engine and/or is emission-related. Misfires are typical causes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will do both, appreciate it. sometimes smell fuel from inside while driving. I've inspected the lines, look fine and no sign of leaking.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,815 Posts
Tighten every clamp on all the fuel hoses when your done checking the flow. It's leaking somewhere under pressure if you smell gas. Has the fuel pump been out of the car for any reason?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts