Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i 5sp Manual
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 Outback, completely stock except for wheels and tires. I have 17" wheels off of the 3rd Gen(7 Spokes) and I am running 205/55R17 Goodyear Assurance Triple Treads.

I hauled quite a few tools from Ohio back to Michigan and estimated the weight to be under 1000lbs. I assumed maybe about 750 or 800lbs. Well they were in boxes that were just over 120lbs. I had the seats folded flat, and put two boxes as far forward as I could and had more sag than I expected for any amount of weight. I finished loading and headed home. When I hit bumps my tires would rub. I expected almost all of that.

The other day though I had 4 coworkers with me and we were going out to lunch. Well my tires rubbed quite a bit. I know this isn't quite right.

I often town a trailer, which doesn't usually affect the height too much. (Light trailer) But there have been times when I have wanted to haul loads with more tongue weight, but knew that I shouldn't.

Now to the dilemma, I don't know much about what options I have as a first Gen owner. I have searched but haven't found a lot of info. I have thought about lifting it slightly because I would like that most. I know they make overload springs as well. I'm assuming a new strut would probably fix the problem as well.

Can anyone share info on my options and opinions on what I should do?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anything? Are my posts too long?

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,105 Posts
just from the load/sag issue, to me, I think it's gonna require springs.

if the struts are original, I'm sure they are tired (our 03 had a bad rear shock at 63K miles), but the small amount of gas inside the struts will not help nearly as much as springs would for the sag.

And anytime you start running different tires/wheel/strut combinations, rubbing can be become an issue. There are so many factors with all those possible combinations, you may never find someone with experience doing exactly what you are doing.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. So springs more so than shocks, hadn't really thought of that before.

I know if the stock tires were on there it wouldn't rub, it just slightly rubs the outer edge of the slightly wider tires. I'm not to worried about it except that it can get low enough to rub in the first place.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,105 Posts
so, it's rubbing on the fender side?

I know nothing about it, but some folks roll the fenders for more clearance. I suppose there could be an issue with the wheel offset but, since they came from another soob, it likely IS just the overall width.

If the rubbing were on the inside at the strut tophat or the spring, some folks have solved that with a spacer of a few millimeters. There is the likelihood that spacing the wheel outward will shorten the wheel bearing's lifespan. who knows by how much???

Maybe search for; springs for 98 or king springs or rallitek or spring swap, spring upgrade, etc. different terms like that. maybe include searching/asking over at ultimatesubaru.org as well.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright thanks for the input sure will give that a shot.

And as far as I can tell there is no rubbing on the strut side

1 - 7 of 7 Posts