Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a friend got a hold of me about buying his old soobie.
1998 Legacy L 2.2 engine, 183k and some change on the clock, manual.
Took it for a drive and it sounded like someone had thrown sand into the clutch pack as the engine rpm's dropped when foot was taken off the gas. Clutch was replaced 20k ago. What would be the possible cause of this noise? How expensive would it be to fix? And how many more miles before the HG blows(the valve covers are leaking, and i can smell gas in the oil when i wiped it on my finger, nothing in the radiator yet but i feel like it is close to crapping out)?
My understanding is that the 2.2 is a little more solid, but can still be worrisome. I dont need a $2k car that needs that to make it reliable. It ran fine OTW and has had a lot major high mileage work done, as far as i can tell.
Thoughts and opinions welcomed, thanks for it all.

·
Registered
141 Posts
2.2 has ~30hp less than 2.5. 1st gen 2.5s are famous for HG failures into combustion chambers, 2.2s are practically immune to it. Your area isn't the best market for the AWD cars, but it isn't far from it. Basically, I'd recommend a 1st generation only if you can do your own work, or have connections to a GOOD Subaru mechanic. Fuel in the oil could be a leaking injector...or something more expensive.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2.2 has ~30hp less than 2.5. 1st gen 2.5s are famous for HG failures into combustion chambers, 2.2s are practically immune to it. Your area isn't the best market for the AWD cars, but it isn't far from it. Basically, I'd recommend a 1st generation only if you can do your own work, or have connections to a GOOD Subaru mechanic. Fuel in the oil could be a leaking injector...or something more expensive.

Thanks. I am mostly worried about the sound coming from the engine decelaration(sp), it sounds like someone has thrown in a handful of sand. OTW it sounds fine and drives fine.
I can do most of my own work, but will not mess with a HG as i dont have the knowledge or patience.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The only WAG I can make on the 'clutch' noise is that it's the result of a failing pilot bearing, or possibly a bad throw-out bearing.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only WAG I can make on the 'clutch' noise is that it's the result of a failing pilot bearing, or possibly a bad throw-out bearing.

Thanks!
After some Google-fu i found the answer and it is indeed one of those 2 bearings. Probably best to replace both while your in there. Should have been done when the clutch was replaced. Preventative maintenance goes a long way especially when your already working on it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
2 Participants
pdxob
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing