Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I've read thru some of the pulley failure threads but didn't find any that failed while parked/ or during cranking.

I was driving the car regularly. It made some noise when I cranked it , drove 30 miles interstate, parked, cranked again, drove 2 miles, parked, attempted to crank !! then it just made the terrible sound of a failed pulley.

Unfortunately my dumba** self continued to attempt to crank it but it never fired up. It sputtered a bit, then I gave up.

Question: Did I most likely damage the valves when attempting to crank?
I'll probably try to replace the one bad pulley and have it checked at a shop for damage.

Also, I don't really need this car, I paid $500 for it last July. Should I just sell it and avoid the headaches?

This is a link to a few photos. the belt looks to be ok, not broken.
99 legacy pulley - Imgur

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
the 99 legacy L came with the 2.2L SOHC engine.

the 99 legacy outback came with the 2.5L engine.

both could suffer bent valves due to a t-belt failure,
regardless of the cause, idler, belt tensioner or water pump, valves could bend.
it just depends on where and when the cams stop and how long the crank continues turning.

the only way to know is to replace the idler, hang another belt and see how it runs.

how many miles?

given the price you paid, you could easily sell it for parts and walk away.
but if you plan on replacing it , probably cheaper to fix it.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,483 Posts
Get a Gates kit and do the whole job. Change the water pump if that pulley feels rough and replace the thermostat and start that puppy up.

Its a 50/50 shot. If it doesn't start and run with everything installed proper, make sure you have TDC correct before setting the belt or the crank will be 180 out, then you can still sell it for profit if the body, interior, trans and suspension is good.

You could just buy another engine out of NJ for $300 and swap it in. JDM Engine Depot I've gotten engines and a transmission from him with no problems after installation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.
Is it possible to switch this individual pulley without pulling the belt & tensioner off?

also, I just found an ej22 in atlanta for $250...

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,483 Posts
Belt yes, tensioner no. You have to pull the tensioner and then compress the pin before reinstalling it.

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
read up on how to compress the tensioner and how to line up the timing marks before you start or you could do more harm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts