Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1999 & 2002 Legacy Outback auto
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checkin the belt due to unknown mileage. Pulled the front end apart, everything is absolutely beautiful inside. Gonna do the belt only. Bad idea?

Also, should I be able to turn the driver side upper cam 90ish degrees without any resistance?

Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
00 Outback Wagon...269K 09 Legacy 2.5 Sedan...93k
202 Posts
Checkin the belt due to unknown mileage....Gonna do the belt only. Bad idea?
Yes...
Buy the kit and replace everthing in there...belt/pump/tensioner/idlers/cam&crank seals. New thermostat also. Cheap insurance...RockAuto is the least expensive I've found.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rockauto cant get this car done today. I also have zero faith that a made in China kit is better than the pieces currently on the car.

Also, does no one carry a timing cover gasket kit? Mine is heavily distorted and all the stores want to sell meba crank seal... (just personal experience)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Apparently I cant draw straight lines, or lin epulleys up correctly. Guess Ill try the dealer for the gasket set, get some new idlers n such.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Apparently I cant draw straight lines, or lin epulleys up correctly. Guess Ill try the dealer for the gasket set, get some new idlers n such.
About that. A hand crank of the engine revealed no MAJOR obstructions. However, upon starting, loud knocking noises were heard. Rechecked the timing, drivers side exh cam off 3-4 teeth. Got it all timed correctly, now I have a bit of a tick and slight smoke. Im assuming ANY valve/valve/piston contact causes catastrophic failure?

Obvously, this is my first Subaru.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
63 Posts
that driver's side is notorious for moving around - at least it was when I was replacing HG's on mine - I screwed up twice - belt slipped or cam moved while I was putting belt on... for some reason, not sure. After I was done I checked it by cranking by hand (here wrench) and noticed a clank! - left side was off so I pulled it apart and put it back together - never had any problems after the first two tries. Cranked and it started on a second try - purring like a kitten - you should of checked prior to cranking with a starter - ecould of screwed up valves. It looks like a left side head has to come off now.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I spun it by hand, felt some resistance. Nothing I couldnt chalk up to compression tho. I really needed to pull that head anyway (lotsa miles on orig hg). I guess Ill need a few valves and guides on top o fthe normal hg work? What are the chances the bottom end was damaged?

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
they don't damage bottom ends. just bend valves. piston might have a mark in the top, but no big deal.

you're sure it's bent valves?

use Subaru only on the headgasket, intake manifold gasket, and water pump gasket. get the coolant crossover pipe orings.
no need to pressure test or check, those heads are never bad, waste of money.

you can resurface them yourself really easily. check the link out below. after some botched jobs from the only machine shop around that is way out of the way, i've adopted this method, it's so easy:

DIY Head Resurfacing... or "Post-apocalyptic machine shop techniques!" - Old Gen.: 80's GL/DL/XT/Loyales... - Ultimate Subaru Message Board

probably don't need guides, they're almost never replaced...but if you want too not a terrible idea. valve stem seals yes.
never replace head bolts on a Subaru.

when you spin the timing pulleys - do they spin really tight and smooth? a new pulley does not spin by hand, it's tight because it's full of grease. usually by this age the timing pulleys spin freely because there's no grease in them. i've never pulled an engine this old that had "like new pulleys"...maybe one, but not all of them. i use the aftermarket timing kits regularly. new pulleys is far better than 10+ year old originals devoid of grease.

the pulleys and tensioner see 200,000 by the second belt, they are known to fail before then - which means broken belt and bent valves (usually a bunch of them). it doesn't happen often but too often for me. theimportexperts on ebay have higher quality stuff than the slightly lower priced ones.

there are two timing tensioner set ups for EJ25's - a 99 has the newer style if it has the original engine. the tensioner bolts to the engine with one bolt (the old style is bolted with two bolts).

i've never replaced the timing cover gaskets so unsure about that. they're not a big deal.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No idea on the bent valves. Just assumed from the clatter I initially heard, then the puttering after being properly timed. Sounds like if I can get this head off, Im still in good shape...

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
if you're doing it in the car, it's painful unless you jack the engine up a few inches. remove the two 14mm engine mount nuts and pitching stopped and those three things will save you lots of time, headaches, beer, and your monthly alotment of cuss words.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts