Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
'00 & '01 OBW 2.5, AT, '95 jeep yj with galvanized frame, detroit locker, Super 35 axle kit, 4.88 gears, 2.5 5spd, 1964 Austin Healey Sprite basket case that will someday be subie powered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed intake on the 01 ob has an air line coming off the idle air solenoid, and coming forward on the passenger side intake to another solenoid/valve with an electrical connector on it. Another air line goes from this to the forward bottom passenger side of the intake, right above the head. The forester doesnt have this. Should I swap out intakes when I swap the motor? Another thing- there's bottom tranny/engine bolts by the transaxle that are hard to get to. On a forester with AT, I had to pull axle shafts to get to them, but on a MT, ya dont even have bolts there. At least not on 98 forester. Will this be a prob with the outback engine swap? I hit a deer going 70mph, and ruined the entire front of the car, and busting timing covers. Was gonna swap motor since there's oil in the coolant overflow bottle. (since I before I bought the car, 3 months ago) Coolant has not migrated into the oil, and doesn't really get low. leaks oil from front seal or somewhere in front, badly. (also since before I bought the car) Since dealing with bad hg in subarus before, and noticing that headbolts were not really tight on either one, can I retorque and see if it works? Oil doesnt flood the overflow. Thinking of replacing front main seal and timing covers, and just running the motor for as long as I can, before swapping it out.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,483 Posts
If there aren't any bolts on the MT, someone left them out. Should be studs for the bottom and bolts on the top. Someone probably had difficulty stabbing the engine in during clutch replacement, removed the studs and didn't want to remove the CV axles to reinstall. Just make sure you have them installed after you swap.

Change the intakes. Your computer will be looking for the solenoid. Especially if it feeds the variable induction valve.

·
Registered
'00 & '01 OBW 2.5, AT, '95 jeep yj with galvanized frame, detroit locker, Super 35 axle kit, 4.88 gears, 2.5 5spd, 1964 Austin Healey Sprite basket case that will someday be subie powered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Had the Idle Air Solenoid issue when I tried to put in a 2.5 sohc into my 98 forester. Didn't realize that it wasnt gonna work, and when the motor was bolted on, I noticed the wiring harness wasnt compatible :/ . The car had a 2.2 that was bad, but was a dohc 2.5 car from the factory. I cannibalized my 2.2 harness and popped pins out of connectors to swap connector plugs, but was left short because that year they used a vacuum actuated IAS or some different setup. Drove the car a year or more, with it panting the whole while. Zoom zoom zoom zoom. Drove me nuts with the erratic idle....but that engine is the right block for the 01 OB, so I'll probably pop it in when this one kicks the bucket. the one in my OB pisses oil outta the timing cover, and thought it was the main seal, but turns out its all wet with oil under the drivers side cam. Cam seal time...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Old thread, but anyways, swap went very well. ( I'm back with new problems)... Swapped intakes (very quick job, since all wiring leaves with it) and car drove well til I hit a deer. then power steering pump was failing and I broke teeth off the steering rack torquing around the steering wheel. BTW, a 1999 forester steering rack is identical to 00-04 OBW, ratios and all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts