Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just the other day I noticed that my transmission wouldn't shift properly. While driving 60 mph it would stay high on the rpms and wouldn't shift to the next gear, not until I let off the gas and slowed down a little did it shift. I checked the trans fluid and noticed it was a little low so today I drained the pan and filled it up with 4 qts. mobil 1 full synthetic atf. I hate having to check transmission fluid levels because I always seem like I can't tell where it is on the dipstick. Anyways I took it for a quick drive and it seemed to shift a little better but the rpms still hung up for awhile before finally shifting to a higher gear. When I got home I checked the fluid again and it seems its in the right spot I don't know for sure though (I took a crappy photo to verify). While I was checked the fluid level I noticed smoke coming up from underneath the car into the engine bay. I got below the car and noticed that it was smoking out what seems to be the cat. coverter. There was no smoke coming out of the tail pipe so I don't know if ATF got onto the exhaust and it was just burning off or what. I took a photo of the dipstick and a video of the smoke im going to put below. Thanks for help, just wanted to check and see if I could fix the problem before I call up my mechanic and have him look at it.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
16,479 Posts
The level looks okay in the photo. The smoke is most likely from oil. Either what you spilled or a leak from the engine. You'd have to clean the engine and exhaust and check after a drive to see where the source is.

As for the shift: Are you talking about a delay in the 3-4 shift? or another gear change?

You may want to pull the pan off and check for metal and amount of debri, clean the sump screen, flush out the transmission cooler portion of the radiator and see if it helps. If not, it could be a data transfer issue with the engine controls and the TCM. Do you have a MIL (CEL) on?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry I haven't had time to get it checked out, I don't have a code reader so ill have to go to a mechanic here in town. The code did occur when I was having the transmission problem yesterday though. Btw this video im going to post below was happening about a week or two before yesterday. In the video im in park and its idling a little high and will jump then I put the car in gear and the idle will drop to normal. Im thinking that this is connected to my transmission problem im having right now.

·
Premium Member
16,479 Posts
It's in the engine controls. The idle hunt seems like a vacuum leak or data issue.

Check for a vacuum leak. Any hole or crack that is allowing air in after the MAF. Have someone with a scanner check the TPS function. Clean the throttle body.

Still need the codes, but start there.

When the engine doesn't perform proper it effects the transmission.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I had someone finally scan the code and it was P0121. He checked my TPS and it was making a humming noise. Put his ohm meter on it and was saying it was reading too high and thought the throttle was open at idle. So he adjusted it and the car ran fine for a couple days but now it's having shifting problems again. Also I noticed while I was in drive but at a complete stop with the AC on the rpms would drop to zero when the compressor would turn on but the car didn't die. It would drop in rpms but jump back when the compressor kicked back off. So what I am thinking is that the TPS is getting the wrong voltage to it. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
16,479 Posts
Replace the battery, check all the ground lugs and also the alternator performance.

You may or may not need to replace the TPS, but if there were no other codes, its possible that the TPS is bad. But, you have to make sure the amperage flow is good first.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts