Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
'99 Suburu Outback 30th Anniversary Edition
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all. This is my first post here. I hate to start off with asking for help, but I'm in a bit of a pickle with my car.

Over the last couple weeks, my car has developed a rather odd condition. If I drive it for short distances, at normal city street speeds, everything is fine. However, if I drive it for longer distances, or highway speeds for more than 10-15 minutes, it develops a physical "popping" in the rear end when turning sharply, and more noticable when turning to the right. If I'm going straight, there's no noise or popping.

I've had it in the shop, and they can't figure it out. I guess they don't have the time to drive it for 10-15 minutes each time they try to diagnose it, and it doesn't make the noise any other time. It has to be driven for a while.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Car Info:
'99 Legacy Outback Wagon 30th Anniversary Edition
5-sp manual AWD
190,000 miles

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Verify that all 4 tires are matching brand, model, wear level and inflation.

Tough to say, but you might be describing the AWD system fighting itself because of a difference in tire sizes. Ideally they should all be within 2/32" of the same tread remaining.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,704 Posts
^^^^definitely check that.

try turning tight circles on dry pavement after the car is warmed up. Any bucking or jerking could mean torque bind. The car should be able to circle tightly at or just above idle speed in 1st gear.

Also, after a long drive, try to measure the temperatures at the hubs. A remote infrared thermometer is best. Compare temps. A corner that is more than about 15-20 degrees warmer than it's opposite side mate would be suspect for bearing or possibly brake problems.

also, post your city in case someone can recommend a different mechanic. Occasionally, I've found I've had to request a mechanic drive my car home and back the next day to experience a problem (like cold start problem or intermittent problem w'ever)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts