Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 OTBK 5MT, 2014 OTBK 6MT
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,
Looking at a used 99 Leg SUS Auto 127K that says in the ad , that the front Diff is bad and needs to be replaced, Is this part inside the Tranny? Is this a complete trans changeout? or is this a rebuildable function, Thanks for you extensive knowledge

·
Registered
18,728 Posts
The front differential is contained in the front part of the overall transmission case. While it could be re-buildable, based on reports here, most of the time the complete transmission is changed out with a used one.

See attached:

Attachments

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
what OM says is true. it takes talent and know how to replace a front diff. while lots of us can / could swap out a trans.

but i would question the diagnosis. lots of non-subaru mechanics and shops will misdiagnose a problem and blame it on the front diff.

so what is the car / trans doing that makes it have a bad front diff? it could be a less than full trans repair or maybe even a simple repair.

FYI: a 99outback or 00 - 02 outback, forester, or GT auto trans should be compatible.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah canubaru, I don't know if it is a missed diagnosis or not, the person is just selling it because they perceive this to be the culprit. If I bought it and it was an easier fix, then yeah great deal, but if indeed it is the stated problem, I just want have an idea of how much more time and money I would be on the hook for to getting it fixed. Also thanks for the other tranny's that a swap in, flexible is what I like.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the pic and details, they are a definite help to know what I am looking at

1 - 5 of 5 Posts