Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I've been replacing my clutch and transmission box on my '99 Outback. But the transmission (both new and old ones) will not slap up against the engine!

I've read everything there is to read about re-installing the MT on these OBs, and I've tried everything imaginable with NO RESULTS! See photo links below of input shaft, clutch plate and hole, and the gap that exists between the transmission and the engine.

Before you ask, here's what I know:
1. There's nothing blocking the tranny from hitting the engine anywhere.
2. The transmission is definitely the right size. Even the original won't shove back into it's place.
3. I have rotated the input shaft splines 10+ times and tried to shove it in, still won't go.
4. The transmission gets on all bolts, but not all the way up against the engine.
5. The clutch fork and bearing are all installed correctly and not interfering.
6. I have tried getting under the tranny and wiggling it up and down, left to right, a hundred times. No dice.
7. I have re-installed the clutch plate and disc three times, making sure it's facing the correct direction and aligned properly.
8. One of the lower bolts may be slightly bent, but the transmission still goes on all six bolts just fine. And if that one bolt is indeed bent, it's only a very slight, minute bend.

Anyone have any ideas on how to finally get this sucker on without breaking anything? I am losing my mind.

Here's the photo of the tranny and engine:

Photo of input shaft:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-k3F3pybq0PY/UVsHHpCdQuI/AAAAAAAAAgI/SianEr16zO0/s1600/input+shaft.JPG

Photo of clutch:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-0ElioWP9Tos/UVsHGbHsTQI/AAAAAAAAAgE/BObYjgo-a9o/s1600/clutch+hole.JPG

·
Registered
2009 Tribeca Now - 2004 Outback EJ259 - Sold
1,072 Posts
Just be sure, you have used a clutch alignment tool when assembling the clutch plate/pressure plate?
Sounds like the input shaft is simply misaligned.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Yeah, I've used it every time I reinstall the clutch. Should be perfectly aligned.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Get a small mirror and start looking around, its hanging up on something.
When you are trying to push it on you should be able to "feel" the location where it is hanging up.
For instance, if it were the upper dogbone, the lower portion of the tranny would slide on & upper would stop.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Also you mentioned this is a replacement transmission.
Are you 100% sure the donor is compatible with your vehicle.
Measured the dia. of the tip of input shaft donor vs. original?

You should be installing it by sliding it over the 2 lower studs on the engine only to begin with.
Then once you have it aligned and partially on the 2 dowel pins start threading in the other bellhousing bolts.
You might be hung up if you have all the bolts pre installed while trying to assemble the engine and trans.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Ntippet. It's not just the replacement tranny that won't go on. The original won't go back on either.

You mentioned doing the bottom studs and dowel pins first. But it also has studs on the top, the same length as the bottom studs. So it's been sliding onto all four studs at the same time. I will try to do bottom/pins first though like you said.
Thank you!

·
Registered
288 Posts
I believe its just the weight of the engine and friction that is keeping it from mating.
Once I am sure that all is correctly installed, I just use the mounting bolts to pull the engine into contact.
There have been times when I had to go get a longer bolt to start the process so that the other side can catch. I just torqued them alternately until all is good.

O.

·
Registered
2005 xt limited gone but not forgotten
342 Posts
If it still won't go, my bet would be the clutch disk alignment in the pressure plate. Remove the disk and pressure plate and mate the tranny up and see if it slides in completely. That will eliminate the pressure plate and disk alignment from the equation.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome ideas! Thank you! I'll try them tonight.

Osei, I've been told that using the bolts/studs to pull the tranny closer to the engine can ruin something ... but I don't know what. Is it dangerous for any reason?

·
Registered
03 Outback H6 base
252 Posts
Just my :2cents: but something is obviously interfering with the final installation. Take a look at serotta's suggestion and also compare the old disk with the new disk at the hub. Something is causing the interference, find that. Using the mounting bolts to "draw" the parts together can break the transmission housing or bend the clutch disk and in my opinion is a bad idea.

When it is in as far as you can get it, will the engine rotate? Still, it sure sounds like pilot shaft misalignment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts