Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello about 3 days ago I purchased a 99 Subi Obw 2.5 l 162k on body and 100k on motor and tranny . I took it for a 5 min test drive and drove great, no rust , like new kid said you "should" have the timing belt and head gaskets done but car runs great . got the title drove it 10 miles started to overheat looked like coolant got onto the belt and frame, of the engine let it cooled down limped home etc. Next day same thing over heat within 2 mins coolants bubbling I accidentally overfilled w coolant. Temp needle jumped way above hot and stuck there after car was shut off . Now I spent all this money on this car he wants another $400 to do timing belt and head gasket and water pump supposedly. you think I caused damage driving it a couple miles like that ? I heard air in the system , thermostat any suggestions on Diy ?

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
If you can get good new HGs installed for $400 do it now, you'll set a record for cheapest ever without doing it yourself.

It does sound like classic HG failure, might as well do belts at the same time if you decide to keep it.

·
Registered
I own 4 Subarus. A 95,97,02 and a 14. The first two are 2.2 and the last two 2.5.
657 Posts
In answer to your question, you didn't do it any good! Your problem however is what damage was done before you bought it?

Is it possible to return it for a $500 loss? If is it, you should do it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for your response. Title and insurance in my name already I asked ..I know I was thinking about that I drove it a couple miles hot I'm really hoping that the engine is ok & hopefully what he says the $400 it true it smokes real good when it first starts and drive can't even drive it a couple miles

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
you have a blown headgasket.

i would not pay $400 to someone who just sold a questionable vehicle for such an important repair. if that repair is not done right you'll have future issues. heads must be resurfaced and use Subaru's updated 610 gaskets only.

it's all guesswork at this point - you have no clue what the condition of the motor is. you overheated it...previous owner likely did as well. these engines are notorious for blowing lower end bearings, likely due to previous overheats. the random nature of their overheating that isn't mitigated with coolant filling or cabin heater turned on, encourages folks to limp them along, overheating them too much.

i'd go for an EJ22 swap myself. cheaper and better motor.
Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

·
Registered
DIY-Turbo 2.2l OBS 12.89s 1/4mile @ 106.17MPH
399 Posts
+1
ej22 swap - 100x better engine than dohc ej25 (10x better than sohc ej25 too).

ej22's used to be thrown around everywhere in our local u-pull-it JYs but Subaru shops / repairmen have been pulling ALL of the good engines out of ALL of the Subarus as soon as they get in the yard for a few years now...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts