Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Legacy Outback 2.5 H4 30th anaversity model
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 Outback with a 2.5. I had pulled the motor and replaced head gasket and timing belt and water pump. Reinstalled and it ran good. Then I decided to install half shafts and front brakes and rack and pinion boots. I disconnected the battery so I could unlock the wheels to do the half shafts. Got everything together and now it idles great until you try and accelerate and it stumbles and has no power and sometime it dies It is not drivable. Out of gear if you move the accelerator slow you can rev it up and it does not miss. Any help would be greatly appreciated. And no codes.
Bob T

·
Registered
I own 4 Subarus. A 95,97,02 and a 14. The first two are 2.2 and the last two 2.5.
657 Posts
I'm replying to help the OP keep his inquiry alive.

How long did the car "run good" after you reinstalled the motor? A day, month, or year? I would hate think that you had a serious problem and didn't discover it when you reinstalled the motor, but it complicates the analysis.

If it did run good, then obviously, something was dislodged. You will have to check and recheck every vacuum hose, wire plug, etc. Take all the hoses off individually, reconnect every plug, and pray.

·
Registered
95 Legacy EJ22 5MT, 98 Legacy EJ22 5MT, 99 Legacy Outback EJ25 4EAT "Agent 99", 01 Forester EJ25 4EAT
496 Posts
Really weird that it's acting that badly but not throwing any codes, but this smells a little like what I went through when I first replaced the motor on my '99. Seemed to run okay, but the transmission was wonky - shift points just weren't where they should be. No codes, either. To make a long story short, I'd failed to tighten down that ground lug on the intake manifold just to the left of the coil pack.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,700 Posts
Knock sensor?

it can kill the power and often won't throw a code.

might not hurt to double check cam/crank timing - could have skipped a tooth?

·
Registered
95 Legacy EJ22 5MT, 98 Legacy EJ22 5MT, 99 Legacy Outback EJ25 4EAT "Agent 99", 01 Forester EJ25 4EAT
496 Posts
might not hurt to double check cam/crank timing - could have skipped a tooth?
Further to that, on the EJ25D, it's easy to be off by a tooth, thanks to the mistake in the timing belt installation diagram in both the FSM and the Haynes book. I detailed this in an old post a few years ago.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts