Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outback Premium w/ a LOT of miles on it
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, been a while since I posted anything but I'm always lurking around. My wife's 99 Outback is still chugging along, just about to turn 160K. Last year I replaced the fuel filler neck due to the usual NY rust problem. I cheaped out & went w/ a no name aftermarket one. What I found from the start was that the gas cap would spin on nice and easy, give it a couple of clicks & off we go. BUT taking it back off later was a two hand process, my wife couldn't even put gas in it on her own. It wasn't vacuum holding it on, it was just hard to turn. Anyway, a couple of months ago it freed up & came off easily... a few miles later... CEL, P0440. Cleared the code, replaced the cap w/ an OE one, code came back. I made a smoke tester & found that it is leaking at the cap. I am guessing that my cheap fix is no good & was wondering if anyone else has seen this happen. I will be replacing it again, but do I need to go w/ genuine Subaru, or would Dorman or Spectra suffice? Thanks!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts