Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
The Squanch 1999 Outback 2.5 5 Speed
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i was at my local u pull it this past weekend and found an 04 forester they had there.

i have read that i can use the struts from this car to lift my 99 outback pretty cheap.

i was quoted about 150 for all complete struts off this car. will i only need the strut assemblies off this car or will i need more?

i defiantly need a lift of some sort on this car i spend a lot of time at the beach in this car and so far i have not had any trouble in soft sand but i feel like a lift would make me more comfortable.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,215 Posts

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
I'd prefer an actual lift kit - reusable and can't wear out, and you get actually 2", and which offers more tire clearance - OBW or Forester?. i've transfered lifts from one vehicle to the next and removed lift kits before getting rid of a vehicle, that's less likely to happen if it's contained in the struts. but i get that pull off struts are gonna be cheap.

Here's a 2" version and who I get my stuff from:
Lift Kits : 0 2" Lift Kit EJ fits 90-08

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i wasnt planning on going more then about two inches. ive taken the car through some deep sand and the car did fine but my bumper was full of sand and thats something i would like to try to avoid if i can.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd prefer an actual lift kit - reusable and can't wear out, and you get actually 2", and which offers more tire clearance - OBW or Forester?. i've transfered lifts from one vehicle to the next and removed lift kits before getting rid of a vehicle, that's less likely to happen if it's contained in the struts. but i get that pull off struts are gonna be cheap.

thanks for the link. how is the ride quality with this kit?

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
thanks for the link. how is the ride quality with this kit?
you're not changing anything so the ride quality doesn't change. same OBW struts. same OBW springs. no bushings or anything are removed. you're just making it higher, that's it.

By lifting a car you're going to impact center of gravity and alignment - but that's just the physics of lifting the car 2" no matter how you do it. that's like asking if gravity still exists after you install a lift.

You get an alignment and address performance as personal taste requires. Stiffer suspension/sway bars/bushings - higher spring rates - install new struts...etc. Or do nothing and just drive it.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
I did the Forester swap. Struts, springs, and mounts. Fully pre-assembled. Super easy install but it doesn't really provide any lift over the stock suspension. Check out Subtle Solutions for inexpensive spacer lifts.

·
Registered
99 OB SUS 2.5 DOHC
56 Posts
I did 2 inches on a 15 Forester and had no complaints until it was totaled. Decided on a 99 SUS now and have done 6 inches. Used 08 Forester KYB struts and havent had a complaint with the ride height.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts