Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a similar thread of 99 vs 00 everything is the same which do you like better and 2000 was the winner there. Here is my situation: 99 Outback Limited, 170k miles (auto trans) vs 00 outback with 242k miles (manual trans). Both seem to have similar mtce items done, HG, etc.

Obviously, the 99 has leather all-weather package and upgrade stereo system. That appeals to me. The 00 is probably cloth interior and has about 6-7 years more driving miles on it the way I drive.

The 99 asking price is 3200 and the 00 asking price is 3500.

99: '99 Subaru Legacy Outback LIMITED EDITION AWD

00: 2000 Subaru Outback 5-speed; New Head Gaskets, Etc.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Both are priced too high, I just picked up my 00 outback base model 1 owner 84,xxx miles for $4,000. I did get kind of lucky but my point is that there is always a better deal out there. Check them both over thuroughly, ask for receipts and where labor was done, and try negotiating a deal. Just by the ads and pics I'd say the 99

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for sharing your experience Subyluv. Where are you located, in reference to using your car as a comp? My understanding is region and state sometimes plays a big part of used car values. I have seen cheaper OBs in these years in the Bay Area CL. But most of them seem to need timing done or HG done or "needs 1 tire."

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh yeah - just noticed that. And I was thinking that car looked really clean. Until now. I wonder wtf that is about?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm from North Dakota but I bought my car in Minneapolis about 5 hours away every thing in my area is over priced! What is your max budget? Always look $1,000 over budget even $2,000 you never know someone may go that far below asking price! I started my jeep at $5,500 lowered it to $5,000 and ended up with $4,200. I found this in your area not sure if you saw it or not
2002 Subaru Outback 171k miles

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
The mileage is tough to justify given the price is also higher (I agree that the prices seem high, at least for where I live), but my thoughts on the '00:

I personally think the 2.5L engine is MUCH better suited to a manual transmission than it ever was to the 4EAT. It's much more spirited with the MT. Options aside, I also think the '00-'04 cars are nicer than the earlier models.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I saw that OB in Incline Village ,which is closer to me than the two ads I posted. But, it is more than I wanted to pay, although that is probably the most i could swing right now. Since I saw it had some high-speed shaking issues and it is at the top of my budget (would really rather keepit to 3k and under), I kind of ignored it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The 99 is sold too now! How soon do you need a car? Hang in there keep looking all around your area some thing will come up. Good luck keep us posted with cars or questions!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well, ended up not going to check out that 99. don't know why exactly, but once I saw the mismatch wheels it just kind of threw me off. I ended up getting an 02 forester s. much more fun to drive and it came with winter and all season tires. thanks for the help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts