Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had this car since early May. The rear door (hatch) has been working perfectly until today.

I went to the grocery store and when i came out the rear door (hatch) would not unlock. You can hear the actuator when you flip the lock/unlock switch on the front door but it will not unlock.

I have heard there are actuator issues with these cars. Any idea what i can do to get it unlocked? I tried to do it manually but that will not work either. Suppose it is better to have it closed and locked than have it not closing at all???????

·
Registered
335 Posts
If you can hear the actuator it's probably a safe assumption that's ok? My guess is there is a latch issue. If using the key doesn't do it either the only other way I can think of is to get inside and pull the hatch panel off from the inside. Then you'll have access to the latch and can possibly unstick whatever is hanging things up.

Hope that helps. I have unstuck many lift gates. Never a Subaru but I feel it's the same procedure.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
More than likely, it is a rusty return spring on the hatch release handle. push the handle back toward the hatch ( the opposite direction of releasing the hatch). than cycle the lock again and see if it opens. If that allows you to get in. spray the handle hinges and spring with wd 40 or similar to loosen the rust then coat the spring with grease or anti-seize.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was having the same problem with the hatch on my wagon. Once in a while I have to push the handle towards the front of the car while turning the key to unlock the hatch. Hope this works for you!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You guys are spot on. I pushed the handle forward, unlocked it electrically, and then it opened.
Just needs some lubrication :)

Thanks for your responses...............much appreciated.

Lenny

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
lennydude
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing