Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty sure the 5MT on my 99 Legacy Outback has a fried (or is frying a) input shaft bearing. it has not started popping out of gears yet and the noise gets much more quiet after warming up and driving. it does not make the noises with the clutch depressed. Anyways, I want to look into other options. Has anybody put a 6MT from a WRX or what ever other car they come in? I know they moved from push style to pull style clutches (or vice versa) so i know that would be a challenge. And I'm sure drive shafts and rear diff would need to be changed as well. I know that a lot of things with subarus are interchangeable and i have heard mention of these swaps in other cars but has anyone done it in a car like mine? eventually when the EJ25 dies on it, i will be pair the 6MT with an EG33. I have someone to help with the wiring. If this won't work, does anyone know of any other options?

·
Registered
14 Posts
The WRX didn't have a 6MT, only the STI does. That transmission is something like $6-7k+ from the dealer new and swaps are usually around the $4k mark. You'd also need a DCCD controller which is about another $500.00 or so. You might want to look into Legacy GT 5MT's as those are a bit stronger than the '02-'07 transmissions or a lower mileage 5 speed out of another Outback.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah it had a recent clutch job and is holding out fine for now. I want to inquire a little more on the GT 5MT. What are the differences? What year would be best to get the transmission from for my car? any bumps in the road as far as wiring and installation?

·
Registered
16,964 Posts
06+ WRX got a better (somewhat) 1st gear synchronizer I believe. So, you might avoid older years.

but as SS said - you have to ensure matching front diff/rear diff ratios.

you might dig around at NASIOC on 6mt swaps - I suspect it's a huge project.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
1 Lucky Texan
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing