Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here for help!! hopefully someone can. Just got my car out of the shop after having the head gasket replaced along with machined heads. new spark plugs/wires, new axle (drivers side), Tanny mount, solenoid in the transmission, crank sensor, oxygen sensor, had the idle air control valve cleaned, timing belt, pulleys, water pump, I think I got it all. But coming out of the shop it idles rough when sitting at a light. pull forward a few inches and idle goes away sometimes. seems when I am faced up hill while stopped idle seems to be fine. I wish I would have had the engine mounts replaced but didn't. Also the car is not throwing any codes. If anyone has had the same problem before or if there is anyone with an opinion/question, I'm all ears

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,627 Posts
probably the new axle - see if the vibration stops in park and neutral.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
why is it such a large problem with the axles, it's gotta be a new axle I'm sure but can ask my mechanic if it is rebuilt. I've read about them making the gears to tight but id think they might get those off the shelves. And yes it is fine in neutral but when in gear it gets rough, around 650rpm is the idle in both neutral and drive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so seeing no improvements, haven't had the axle changed yet but car actually feels like it is starting to idle rougher in park. still think its the axle?

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,627 Posts
so many possibilties, you might consider taking it back the shop.

do you know what brand plugs and plug wires were used?

·
Registered
1999 Outback Limited 5MT
68 Posts
My thought maybe nothing, but maybe the octane grade of gas that you are putting in? Our EJ25s have a compression ratio 10:1 so 92-93 grade would be close to whats needed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
but this vibrating/rough idle didn't stat until I got it back from the mechanic. I just recently started using pour gasoline at just 87 grade. last time I put a higher octane in my car would get close to stalling.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,325 Posts
I'm thinking maybe you should get the car scanned for "pending" codes, or any codes and see what pops up.

Check the amperage output of the battery. Check the alternator. Ground cable, bungs. Especially the ones on the intake.

If its getting worse, whatever is causing it is going downhill or its causing something in the chain to fail.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
battery and alternator seem to be working fine.so ordered my new axle from Raxles. Will hopefully be here Monday and will install same day.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts