Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2011,premium,2.5
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know Subaru has this as option has anyone done it them selves? i think its a 110v plug, but it looks like its only a 2 prong anyone try a adding a 3 prong and what would you plug into it? like a playstation! :D:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts

Is the "neutral" side of the 2-prong outlet bonded to chassis ground?
If so, a 3-prong mod should be simple. ...otherwise, not so much.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
I am not so sure you can have 3 prong outlet because the car is on rubber tires and you would have to "ground" it... few years back there were these metal "whiskers" that would touch the sidewalk curb but that was more for looks than to serve any meaningfull purpose....

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6 premium, rear sway bar, and way too many accessories. Anything that can make Boston winters more tolerable (e.g. remote start, molded wintertech snow mats etc).
279 Posts
I just always keep a 3 prong to 2 prong adaptor in my car so my laptop power cord (3 prong) has a place to plug into.
As stated earlier, the third prong is supposed to go to the real ground in your house or building (copper or similar metal whacked a few feet into earth) , and since this doesn't exist for the car, the best you could do would be to tie the car chassis to the third prong, which is not the same thing.
christopher

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue
2,378 Posts
I am not so sure you can have 3 prong outlet because the car is on rubber tires and you would have to "ground" it... few years back there were these metal "whiskers" that would touch the sidewalk curb but that was more for looks than to serve any meaningfull purpose....
The whiskers do actually serve a purpose: warning the driver that they're too close to a curb when parking to avoid damage wheels/hubcaps.

But like you said, not very useful for grounding a car since they're not in contact with anything while the car is away from a curb.

·
Registered
2017 2.5 Touring
1,412 Posts
They were called curb "feelers".
The rage in the late 50's. Not for grounding.
To avoid shocks, some would put a "grounding strap" on the chassis that would drag on the ground at low speeds and discharge static electricity to avoid shocks in dry weather. Tire manufacturers have now added something to the formula for rubber, so now the tires dissipate the charge somewhat to avoid shocks. Not sure what any of this has to do with your plug, but there it is.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Yes, that what is was: curb feelers... now I remember... and also that strap dragging ... that was to avoid possible hazzard when re-fueling (I thought then). They have those pump hoses grounded now - but, in the 50's, they might not have been grounded then...if I remember correctly.... getting old....

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Our Ford has a 110v outlet. Its three prong but the ground is just a blank hole. Wish Subaru would have done it this way.

·
Registered
2011,premium,2.5
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i thought that was used to tell how far you are from a curb so you wont scratch rims

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
i thought that was used to tell how far you are from a curb so you wont scratch rims
yes, that was it - I mixed it up with those flat "grounding" strip, that cars sometimes dragged behind to ground static electricity....

·
Registered
2011,premium,2.5
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the 110v goes in the back of the console right?, how does it make 110v anyways? also is there a buy this option afterwords kit :)

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5i Premium/DDD Graphite Gray Metallic OP#2 Weathertec Window Deflectors
405 Posts
It wasn't the rims, it was to protect the spinners, as I remember it... How could I forget the the skirts also, along with the static strips,with the continental kit, a real pimp mobile. How could I forget the dummy spot lights & the sun visor on the windshield.Those were cars!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
I see (from these posts) that the "old" guys are out in force this morning... most of us get up early, I guess....to accomodate our bladders...LOL

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
the 110v goes in the back of the console right?, how does it make 110v anyways? also is there a buy this option afterwords kit :)
There is a 110V kit available from Subaru... installation is a bit complicated though... I added a cig. lighter outlet/socket there instead!
You can always buy a cig. lighter/socket converter to 110V and plug it in a cig. lighter socket....

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 3.6R
858 Posts
My car has it and I honestly have never used it in 2-1/2 years. The inverter is installed under the passenger seat and does require removing the seat to install.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts
...the third prong is supposed to go to the real ground in your house
or building (copper or similar metal whacked a few feet into earth)...
Not quite. The third prong is supposed to be a duplicate "safety
path" to the power supply's "neutral" side (if one exists). A normal
(USofA, 110V) 2-prong outlet has a "hot" side and a "neutral" side.
A 3-prong outlet adds a "ground" wire -- in case the "neutral" wire
fails. The third prong is hardwired to Planet Earth, only because
the local power company also connects their 2-prong "neutral" to
Planet Earth. In normal operation, "neutral" and "ground" are at
the same potential -- 0.0 volts, relative to your vegetable garden.

It used to be the case that 2-prong 110V outlets on steel-hulled
naval ships had no "neutral" side. Instead, both sides were "hot"
with +/- 55 VAC (nominally) relative to hull-ground. I don't know
if USN 110v outlets still work that way, but I mention it because
it's possible that Soobie's 110v outlets are setup with no neutral.
If they are, adding a (working) third prong could be difficult.

...Murphy was an optimist,

Looby

·
Premium Member
2013 Outback 3.6R Ltd- Nav, Eyesight, HK, Graphite Gray Metallic
815 Posts
There is a 110V kit available from Subaru... installation is a bit complicated though... I added a cig. lighter outlet/socket there instead!
You can always buy a cig. lighter/socket converter to 110V and plug it in a cig. lighter socket....
Jogosub is right, there is a kit available and it's complicated to install. When I looked at the installation instructions and considered how infrequently I'd use it, I just bought an inverter from Amazon. I carry it in my trunk. The kit just installs a similar converter under the console.

edit: My mom had feelers on her big Buick. I know because I heard them every time she parallel parked. They got pretty beat up after a few months.

·
Registered
2017 2.5 Touring
1,412 Posts
that was to avoid possible hazzard when re-fueling (I thought then). They have those pump hoses grounded now - but, in the 50's, they might not have been grounded then...if I remember correctly.... getting old....
Strap was to eliminate nasty shocks when getting in or out of the car, or kissing your honey thru an open window.....

1 - 20 of 41 Posts