Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 Outback 2.5 145k

In CT 90 degrees F

My A/c stopped working, recharged it my self a few days a ago. Not it mostly does not work but occasionally it will blow cold air for a few minutes. Wondering what the likely problem and fix is?

Looked to check a/c relay and strangely could not locate it. - photo attached

Any ideas? What should I check next

Attachments

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,499 Posts
No relay. 2010 and later models use a continuously-variable compressor which can modulate itself from 0-100 under ECU command.

Wish I knew more about that system- I would consider taking it to a pro at this point.

·
Registered
96 Posts
What are the pressures on the high and low side when the car is idling with AC on recirculating and fan on high? Again, with AC running, what is temp in driver's side vent? What is ambient temperature?

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring / 2019 Tesla M3
626 Posts
Make sure to let the car cool down and then CHECK THE ENGINE COOLANT level.

A/C issues are commonly misdiagnosed low coolant issues in the various Outbacks and Legacys.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What are the pressures on the high and low side when the car is idling with AC on recirculating and fan on high? Again, with AC running, what is temp in driver's side vent? What is ambient temperature?

With A/C running my low pressure 37 psi High Side 302 psi - Ambient temperature outside 82F, could not check temp from vents but at the tine of test - felt cool.

Air sometimes blows cool and after several minutes will stop being cool.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The system is overcharged. From the service manual for the 2011:

Specification:
Low pressure: 127 — 196 kPa (1.3 — 2.0 kg/cm
2, 18 — 28 psi)

High pressure: 1,471 — 1,667 kPa (15 — 17 kg/cm2, 213 — 242 psi)

Ambient temperature: 30 — 35°C (86 — 95°F)

Since the ambient temp was lower then specified above, the pressures should be even lower. When you charged it, did you first evacuate the system and then added refrigerant by mass or did you just add refrigerant until the system felt cool? I hope you charged by mass. So I would first slowly remove some refrigerant and see if that helps. Please capture the refrigerant properly or let a professional do it. It is illegal in the US (and most countries) to vent AC refrigerant to the air.

The system is designed to work with a certain amount of refrigerant...too much and performance suffers. Since you had to charge the system, did you check for leaks? A good way to do this is to evacuate the system, add some UV dye, and then charge with the correct amount of refrigerant. If it leaks out again use a black light to look for the leak. For larger leaks, a freon detector might work but I prefer using dye. It makes no sense to charge a leaking system without a repair.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts